Alienware M11x R1 No Boot (Lights up when charger is in)

BankrollCurrent

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014
So I bought an Alienware M11x a couple of years ago (got in a sale for a decent price). To me it was a second computer so it wasn't as if I overused it, used for about an hour of so a day. Then all of a sudden it started taking numerous attempts to turn on and then about a week later there seemed to be no life in the laptop anymore. Searched online for a number of weeks looking for a solution, attempted all solutions and still nothing. Contacted Alienware but since my warranty had just ran out they said they could replace, yes replace the motherboard for £750. So they basically wanted me to pay over 3x what I paid for the whole laptop just for the motherboard.

Basically I wanted to know if anyone else on the forum has had a similar problem and whether or not it is fixable or is it best for me to just buy a new motherboard (not from Dell/Alienware of-course).

One thing I found a little weird is that the laptop doesn't boot at all but if I plug the charger in the Alienware head lights up on the laptop.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Solution
A different motherboard is usually not an option for laptops - I'm going to suggest replacing the CMOS battery within the laptop since it going bad can cause issues. Disassembly guide can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqQQU_PWRg the CMOS battery is first seen at 6:03 into the video (further disassembly would not be needed). It is the blue thing at the lower left of the shot there
A different motherboard is usually not an option for laptops - I'm going to suggest replacing the CMOS battery within the laptop since it going bad can cause issues. Disassembly guide can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqQQU_PWRg the CMOS battery is first seen at 6:03 into the video (further disassembly would not be needed). It is the blue thing at the lower left of the shot there

Solution

BankrollCurrent

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014

Thanks for the reply, I'm about to order one now to see if it is the battery. I'm hoping it is to be honest. Thanks again.