Alienware m14x laptop shorts out

dreamboatannie

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
I've already gotten some pretty good hints on this forum, but I thought I'd ask anyway based on the old 'what is the last thing you did before the problem started?' question. The laptop has been running hot for quite some time. I bought a fan, still hot. I was getting ready to buy an external hard drive but decided to download the diagnostic software for my model off of Dell's website. It was running, interrupting something I was trying to do when running its tests and showing me these lovely images that took up the whole screen. To make a long story short(er), the laptop was dead the next time I tried to use it. I noticed that the power supply shorted out every time I plugged it in (no light on the cable, little clicking noise). I did see others have the power cable issue and try to buy a new power cable, I was thinking the same thing. I'm really just curious if that software did something. Obviously the battery is dead, too. I don't believe Li Ion batteries last forever. This laptop is a little over 4 yrs. old. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Have you tried pulling the battery out and using a different charger cord to see if it will work?

If it won't turn on at all, even with a cord connected (no battery needed), then you may have fried the motherboard.

dreamboatannie

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Thanks, and yes I did pull the battery. Lucky for me, that was the problem. I've got a new one (and an external drive) wishlisted on Amazon. After 8 1/2 months of unemployment, I DO NOT want to buy a new laptop. I'm writing this on it right now. :wahoo: