Alienware M15X US power adaptor for UK machine

Peanuty

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hi there.

I wish to buy an M15X in the UK and use it for a year or so, before travelling to the US to live. Originally I was going to buy a travel adaptor but I'm not sure if it's wise to use one continually or not, plus none of the adaptors I have contain the third prong/pin for earthing, so I'm concerned there for safety long term.

Now, I stumbled on this:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=330-5830&cs=04&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=39888&lid=1022051

Which is essentially a replacement adaptor and cable meant for US machines. Would I be able to buy one of those and store it ready to use in the US? Would it work on a UK machine? Presumably since all of these things are 110V-240V it might be okay, and modern laptops can support dual voltage. I'm not sure about the Watts part though.

Any advice on this? It kind of hinges on me buying the machine over here, and I'd like to.

Many thanks.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
The laptops are powered by DC. Both adapters take the AC and convert it to the DC.
Grounding is not an issue since the laptop is dc and the converter in encased in plastic.(unless you get it real wet)
US 120v 60hz
UK 220v 50hz

I would do as you suggest, buy the Dell in the UK with their adapter.
Then when you can afford to, buy the US adapter.

The other option would be to get just the US version and purchase the Euro to US
plug adapter see below:
http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/Jensen,1600,Watt,Power,Converter,Kit,JEN1600,51566.php?prod=51566

The unit described has all the various plug types so if you should find yourself in Paris or Istanbul you'll have the technology.
and it's alot cheaper!

Peanuty

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Thank you for your reply!

Aah, it's good to know that I can indeed use the official Alienware US adaptor with my UK laptop when I'm over there and not have to bother 'converting' plugs or generally getting it to run. I was worried it would fry it or something if I tried that. I do realise there are cheaper alternatives but I don't know, perhaps it's just my OCD but I want it to be all perfect and so I'd like to have that. Presumably the laptop won't need altering in any way (like with desktops when you have to flip a switch inside)?

Actually from what I can see from that Dell link I supplied they don't ship to the UK. I guess I will have to give my fiancée (she lives in the US) the money to buy it, and then ship it over here when it arrives, or to keep it there until I next visit (Christmas).

Thanks once again!

Peanuty

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Oh, just one more question. The US AC adapter is listed as 150 Watt. Although I do not yet own the UK Alienware laptop the UK adapters on their site list 65 and 90 Watt.

Will using the 150 Watt US adapter on my UK laptop (in the States) affect anything? I do not know much about this terminology.

Peanuty

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Aaah, so the Watts thing is fine.

And well, as far as I know most modern laptop adapters (or anything like that, really) are 110-240V, right? The UK generally is at 230V and I believe the US is 110V, so presumably I'm okay there (that is to say when I take the UK laptop over to the US the adapter will be fine, and obviously I'll be using the UK adapter that comes with the UK laptop until I fly over to live).

Does all that make sense? If I've missed anything please let me know, and if it all looks a-okay please let me know too :D.