Alienware M17x r3 will not power on

Im Jason

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
Hello thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I have an Alienware M17x R3 with an AMD radeon 6800m gfx card and an i7 processor running windows 7 home premium.

My issue started I believe last week I was playing a game and my gpu began to overheat it had never done this before. Firstly I removed the cover cleaned the dust out and reapplied thermal paste to the gpu heatsink. I began monitoring the temperature more closely and wasn't able to find the issue. The overheating would occur even if my computer was sitting idle and happened anywhere from an hour to 7hrs after having run normal maintaining a constant temp around 55c but when it overheats it would happen in a matter of 5 minutes climbing to 100c. I'd usually catch it and restarting would fix the overheating for another few hours. I had been at a total loss as to what the problem was.

Finally, tonight it began to overheat so I shut it down and when I went to power it back on nothing happened. I noticed that the led light on the charger that indicates it is plugged into a power source was not on when I removed the charger from the laptop the led light came back on for the charger. When I plugged it back into the laptop I heard a brief sizzle noise which I know to be a bad sign. If I smell around the charger port it has a distinct burnt smell to it. I am now unsure what to do. I am really hoping someone can clarify what could be wrong and if it's repairable or time to shop for a new computer. I'm really hoping it is not the latter.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Jason