Alienware M17x Win7: no Enhancements tab for audio

Jan 8, 2019
The default sound profile isn't great, but I don't have the "Enhancements" tab mentioned in every post I can find about using some kind of built-in equalizer, just "General", "Levels", and "Advanced".

I have no idea how much information someone would need to help me with this, so here's everything I can think of: My two audio devices listed in Device Manager are "AMD High Definition Audio Device" (7.12.0.7723) and "Sound Blaster Recon3Di" (6.0.100.2055). Windows' built-in driver updater says those versions are both up-to-date. Under Sound in the Control Panel (small icon view), my playback devices are Speakers (Sound Blaster), Digital Output (Sound Blaster), and six "Digital Display Audio"s (AMD HD etc.), all listed as not plugged in.

If you need anything else, just ask and tell me where to look. I'd really like to have access to the equalizer everyone else seems to have.

Solution
Jan 8, 2019
When I check for drivers on this page (I do have a M17xR4):
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-m17x-r4/drivers
All it says is I need SupportAssist, which I have. Logging into the site and having SupportAssist open before clicking "Let us analyze your system to find the latest updates" doesn't change that result. Searching "sound" gives no results and "audio" only brings up an older version of a driver I already have (so says its install wizard).

SupportAssist brought up some driver updates, all of which I installed, but none of them produced an Enhancements tab. Drivers & Downloads says I'm fully up to date on everything.

It looks like Realtek HD Audio Manager is required for Enhancements, but I don't have it and never have, as far as I know. Should my computer have come with it?

No idea if your computer should come with it, was this tab listed at all in any documentation or manual for your system? If you don't see Realtek in your device manager that means you have another audio chip.

Solution