Solved! Alienware m17xr4 random freeze-ups

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
I've had my system i.e Alienware m17xr4 for six years now. I just recently got it serviced .

The dedicated GPU i.e Ati HD 7970m had become unresponsive due to dust choking .But now its fine.

My PC has been recently having random freeze ups and unresponsive states

Always forcing a manual shutdown and restart .

During Dell support assistant hard ware shader rendering Dx10 test preparation .

The system froze up and became unresponsive .Forcing a shutdown and restart.This happened before the test even started.

After a normal windows 10 boot up.As I tried to access this website in Google search results.

Again system got held up and unresponsive.Forcing a shutdown and restart. Windows 10 boots up normally though after that.

Now I don't have a clue what's going on with my notebook .Even though the dedicated GPU seems to be working fine now .

Can any one help me know what's going on with my system ?.

Solution
Once your laptop came back to you, did you make sure you were on the latest BIOS for your unit? You should also uninstall and reinstall your GPU drivers with the latest from AMD's support site. I would also ask you to see if you can get into Safe Mode and backup your data in case you will need to reinstall your OS. On the latter's note, please (re)create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools so as to have the latest updates.

Lutfij

Splendid
Once your laptop came back to you, did you make sure you were on the latest BIOS for your unit? You should also uninstall and reinstall your GPU drivers with the latest from AMD's support site. I would also ask you to see if you can get into Safe Mode and backup your data in case you will need to reinstall your OS. On the latter's note, please (re)create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools so as to have the latest updates.

Solution