Alienware m18x R2 ssd upgrade

StZero

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
Hi, I have a AW m18x R2 with i7 3920 with 780sli. This hard disk loading time is begin to become a issue to me. I plan to replace all two HDD current install in my laptop. I have alr day bought two 960g Sandisk ultraII. So here are few concerns I have;
Will they work fine on my Win7 system?
Since I will replace all hard drives, how should I backup and reinstall the system? Would F8 boot menu still be working?
Last one is off this topic.
I wanted to upgrade to win10 but it says my 780 doesn't support for the upgrade. I also heard there are some issues with win 10 updates. (Monitor got malfunction something like that)

Hi,

SSD's should work just fine with Windows 7 just like what i'm using right now. :) If you'll be doing the upgrade and will be cloning the HDD to the SSD chances are the F8 function will still work but sometimes it will not. Try running the Dell Factory Reset disc with the SSD and see if it will create a factory image with it. I would also suggest sticking with Windows 7 because based from my experience in Windows 10 forums, there are still a lot of bugs with that OS.

StZero

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
Ok, Thanks for your advice. Also is there any set up that I need change before I replace the hard disks? Like change raid to ACHI? and the boot option changing from legacy to UFEI?