Alienware x51 end-2013 model with Gtx 670 for triple monitor setup?? Help!!

Aakash Narang

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hi everyone,
I'm not a pro at all, just an enthusiast trying to get your expert views on getting a triple screen setup for my recently purchased Alienware x51 end 2013 model. Currently, it's attached to my samsung 51" plasma tv. I want to move it to my pc room where I have an iMac, and some other computers. I've always liked the YouTube videos featuring triple monitos. Like I said, it has a GTX 670 2 Gb. Should I get 3 screens or it would be impractical? Also, I would like to share that I don't intend to play heavy games on it, just some racing games, a lil bit of fps as well. I don't expect this card to perform exceptionally well, but can it handle a triple 22" or 24" monitors at full hd x 3 times? Please help guys.

The specs are:
Core i7 4770
16gb ddr3 at 1600 MHz
2tb 64mb cache 7200 rpm
2gb gddr5 nvidia GeForce GTX 670
WINDOWS 8

Solution
Look, if you want only one monitor, do not go over 24 inches, if you want really good performance. If you are going with only one monitor, i would recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313
its right about your price range, and you can also buy three of them.. which would be max experience. you cant really see the difference, and your system wont even go much above 70 fps. if you would like three more then try these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AVYNS7M/?tag=pcpapi-20
If you need anything else, just ask.

Matejar1997

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Well basically, if fps dont really matter to you, then its cool... Your pc specs are great for 1 monitor, but if you want to go to three, your fps on bf4 will be about 25- 35, or a bit higher, but if you play a little easier games, its posible that the fps would circle around sixty fps, which is great!!! If u wanna, definately go with three :)

Hope this helped!

Aakash Narang

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Thanks a lot! Which size would you prefer if you were me 22" or 24"? Sorry for being a noob. Also, which models would you suggest me considering I can spend 700-800$ on them. If a product is really better then I can fork out the extra money as well.

Matejar1997

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I would go with a 22" cause it shows more detail on a smaller monitor, which is better, and you will have three of them so if its 2" smaller it doesent matter, but the quality wuld be better.
For a model, you can choose one that has the least reaction time, and 50000 dynamic range(more is better). I think that asus has one of the best for three way gaming. You'r not a noob, your just asking :). if i was you actually, i would upgrade your pc a bit more, buy a better monitor, and have much better gaming experience , but thats only my oppinion

Aakash Narang

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Well I think 22" makes more sense after reading your comment.

As far as upgrading the PC is concerned, I chose Alienware because of it's small console type form factor and it comes factory loaded with hardware that I ever need, at least that's what I then thought. So for the moment, it's just been two months since I bought it. To avoid upgrade research and implementation, I chose the best available model in India where I live. It sure did cost me 2000$ as per my local currency. Therefore, I would like to avoid the upgrade route.

While choosing a monitor for my mediocre usage (mostly), should I worry about 60 Hz or 120 Hz?

Which company/brand makes a better quality product? Dell, Asus or BenQ?

Lastly, any specific models in mind that you can suggest me? Because I would really appreciate if you can list maybe 2-4 models and I would be more than happy to chose between one of them. Otherwise, I have been searching to finalize it from past 7 days and I have lost my patience in the process. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Matejar1997

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
If you have the money, and it sounds like you do, i wophonelook for a 144 hz, or 120 hz. Benqu makes great gaming monitors. By the end of the day il find the best gaming monitors, for your use. I dont want to rush into doing it now, cause im on a phone, il do some reaserch, and help you

Aakash Narang

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Thanks a lot bro, you've been phenomenal in helping me out with your quick replies!

Now for 120hz vs 144hz, do you really think that my Alienware can make a difference? Because according to some friends, it definitely can't handle the load a good game on 5760x1080p at high settings. So I decide that I can play on medium settings. One of my other friend, with not a whole lot of IT knowledge but decent know-how, told me to get 3 x 60Hz decent monitors to enjoy the system because if I invest too much in the monitor now, as per him, I would find the Alienware underpowered. Is that true?

I only want to play racing games on it primarily with a little exception of FPS or RTS games. The system would only be used for that. Additionally, I have a 2008-PS3 (Original system) as well as XBOX 360 Modern Warfare edition lying waste in my storage. My current bedroom HT can't spare any more free HDMI's. So I can hook them up here in my studio with any of the monitors. Not exactly thought about it.

About my budget, I have already told you that it is 700-800$ for 1 big monitor (27" maybe) or 3 smaller monitors (22") all included. The max I can do is add 100-200$ more to it at the moment.

There's another thought crossing my mind now which says to get a real nice 27 incher for Alienware for the time being and game at high settings (not entirely sure if it will be possible but I hope so). As I mentioned before, I would not want to void my X51 warranty, so I would not want to open it up to replace/upgrade parts. We usually don't get the same quality like USA/Europe in India, it's definitely on the cheaper side. So once opened, the life expectancy is reduced. For example, my last Dell XPS 12 (RED) laptop. I wanted to upgrade the Ram once and got the Dell technician to do it. After that, in few months, the laptop started creating so many problems with display going bad, then motherboard was replaced twice, etc etc. Almost everything was replaced in that laptop, phew! So, I am thinking that in about 9-10 months, I can save more money to assemble a semi-pro gamer pc with a real good graphics card that can support 3 screens. Therefore, if I go this route, I would have a 2009 iMac, 2010 MBP 13", Pioneer DDJ ERGO, Alienware + 27" and the NEW GAMING tri-screen setup (one that can actually do it! :D) in my private studio (has a door thru my bedroom; small 9x6 feet space). I think that this might make more sense. What are your thoughts on it?

Will be waiting to hear from you soon:)

Matejar1997

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Look, if you want only one monitor, do not go over 24 inches, if you want really good performance. If you are going with only one monitor, i would recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313
its right about your price range, and you can also buy three of them.. which would be max experience. you cant really see the difference, and your system wont even go much above 70 fps. if you would like three more then try these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AVYNS7M/?tag=pcpapi-20
If you need anything else, just ask.

Solution

Matejar1997

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
And about your friend, he is actually right, you can get descent 60 hz monitor, if you want three of them. That is actually better then getting three 120 or 144 hz. But if i was you, better get two monitors that are 120 or 144(the ones i listed above)

Aakash Narang

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I really like the Asus VG248QE but it's not for 280$ in India, rather 451$ as per my local currency. What a shame! :(
The Asus VN247H retails for 371$ locally.
Another model Asus VS247H is on sale for 176$. Would that be a good buy? I am actually leaning towards a 3 screen setup for now and this price would be phenomenal for me, not sure about it's quality thou. A quick look tells me that it's full HD but 5ms response time. Not impressive.

And about your friend, he is actually right, you can get descent 60 hz monitor, if you want three of them. That is actually better then getting three 120 or 144 hz. But if i was you, better get two monitors that are 120 or 144(the ones i listed above)
UNQUOTE

Are you referring to a dual monitor setup, given I get 120Hz or 144Hz monitors? Would that be great like 3 monitor setup? Sorry, I have no idea about a dual monitor setup. Will just google the info.

It'll be on overkill if I get 1x27" monitor? Is that what you mean? Because if that's not feasible, then I would really like to have 3 monitor setup. The research is on for now. Thanks a ton.

Matejar1997

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Sure dude, no problem, always ask :). I didn't mean it was overkill, i meant that the 24 has better quality. Which is barely visible but it is. I think the one on the sale is great. And great price too

Aakash Narang

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Bump!

I ordered a Benq XL2411T yesterday

And

I ordered one Dell U2414H today! :D

The Benq is yet to ship tomorrow. Do you guys think that I should cancel the Benq? Dell will take 3 weeks to deliver the monitor. Afaik, it comes with a very light version of the anti glare coating and 8 ms response time. So it should be fine for me, right? But it has dual hdmi, mini display port and display port. Which ports and which cables should I use if I plan on dell u2414h triple monitor setup? Quick replies would be highly appreciated because if you guys would suggest me to cancel the benq, then I need to do it in the morning first time!!

Much thanks.

Aakash Narang

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Hi again!

I got my Dell U2414H last week. Looks nice with almost negligible border.

Now, I have connected the Dell to my Alienware x51 via mini display port (on my monitor) to display port (on x51). The other BenQ XL2411T has been connected via Dual DVI port. I have not calibrated any of the displays. The Dell to my surprise seems very dull. I know that as I am not aware of the best settings for everyday mix bag usage. So it is in default factory settings at the moment. I have adjusted the brightness and contrast on the BenQ on a very amateur level just so much so that it doesn't hurt my eyes much.

I have the following queries:
1. How to make a resolution of 3840x1080 for dual monitor setup?
2. How to calibrate both BenQ as well as Dell monitors for optimum viewing experience? What are the best settings that I can do according to your experience. I want a blend of great colors but not so much that it hurts my eyes. I also basically want both of them to be on a similar viewable setting so that I can learn and understand the 144hz difference as well as other differences between both the monitors. In the end, after thorough analysis, I will order 2 more monitors of either BenQ or the Dell for a triple monitor gaming setup.

Any/All help in this regard would be more than appreciated. Cheers! :)