Aluminum-Celmet May Boost EV Ranges 200%

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Wombat_VC[/nom]The concern on EV may not be just range, but how fast can I get back on the road after replenishing the energy source. Any wait longer than filling up the gas tank will not be acceptable.[/citation]
make the battery tech hot swappable like propane tanks or electric forklift batteries and you could be back on the road in 1/2 the time it takes to fill up your gas tank.

G

We're seeing some interesting improvements not only in the materials that go in batteries but also for the body of vehicles.Carbon fiber can reduce vehicle weight by 1/2. Lamborgini is investing heavily in carbon composites for their lineup of vehicles and is a part owner of BMW. BMW is laying down infrastructure and partnerships to build their I3 and I8 electric cars that extensively use fiber in their frames. As this material becomes less and less exotic (expensive) and more of a standard they'll be used more in passenger vehicles.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I will not be satisfied until all available monetary resources are directed towards realizing a modern teleporter.

...yeah.... i mean that

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Is this better than transparent aluminum?[/citation]

And what exactly does that have to do with anything?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Another thing they could do but every auto maker cries "Its too expensive" is use carbon fiber and sandwich construction in the body. That would save extensive weight, and it would also significantly improve fuel economy even in today's vehicles. If automakers were to start using carbon fiber, the price would drop quickly.As to "batteries," personally I think super capacitors are the way to go. There is some exciting research going on; now if only one of the developments would be commercialized.[/citation]
Carbon fiber is NOT CHEAP, and it's much more difficult to mass produce carbon fiber body parts (especially ones that have a complex form) over steel. Not to mention have fun repairing it in the event of an accident. There's a REASON they only use it for high performance and/or high cost vehicles. If they used enough of it to significantly reduce weight of entry and mid level vehicles, costs would skyrocket and it would NOT be the manufacturers complaining, it would be the consumers!

There's still room for improvement with steel alloys, and that's where they're focusing right now. Affordable weight reduction.
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]make the battery tech hot swappable like propane tanks or electric forklift batteries and you could be back on the road in 1/2 the time it takes to fill up your gas tank.[/citation]You need to share whatever you're smoking, pal. Have you seen the battery packs that EVs use? Yeah, good luck having Mr. Smith swap that out in front of his local 7/11 "in 1/2 the time it takes to fill up your gas tank". Even if they deleted the trunk and/or back seats to make the battery pack more accessible and swap-friendly, still no. Even if they got all manufacturers to agree to use the same pack, still no. Even if it DID make a single grain of sense (hint: it doesn't), you'd end up with damaged and/or counterfeit packs on the market - it's bad enough to have a laptop with a cheap Li-ion battery catch fire, but your car while you're on the highway?

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Actually alex it makes perfect sense.. Just because we're not there yet, doesn't mean it won't ever happen.. If their able to improve battery packs, and make them more efficient, and obviously smaller this could very well end up working. And honestly it maybe what it takes.. Unless they find a way to charge up within minutes as in 5 minutes.

Counterfeit wouldn't be as bad as you claim.. Because the same reason you don't get propane tanks filled with simple air, is because the gas station knows it has to go through a reputable dealer. Otherwise their the ones that risk being sued.

Status
Not open for further replies.