Am I able to get Surround Sound with these specs?

Euryon

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Ok, I want to get 5.1 sound on my sons PC.

My equipment is this:

"STV Digital 6" Surround sound system
3D Premium Onboard Surround Sound soundcard

The STV has only 1 RCA (1 red, 1 white) audio output (and a headphone jack)

The soundcard has Green, Pink and Blue outputs.

I have tried using an RCA>Stereo converter between the STV and PC, but I can only get either Front, Rear or Sub/Centre channels at one time (ie, only 2 speakers at a time)

I have scoured the net looking for solutions, and can't find what I'm looking for...

So, is there a way for me to split the RCA outputs into 3 channels (ie, a red/white at one end, and 3 stereo jacks at the other), or do I need a new soundcard or surround system!?

Thanks in advance

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Spliting the signal is not going to make a 5.1, you will get stereo on 6 speakers. Check if your sound manager can setup to 5.1? If you can, then you'll need 3 mini jack to RCA cord to connect it to a surround amplifier input or to 5.1 speakers.

Euryon

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the sound manager can handle 5.1.
Could you point me to a site that sells 3 mini jacks -> RCA please? I searched for such a cable before I posted here, but couldnt find it.
Really appreciate it!

I can't find any info on the STV surround sound but if it doesn't have a 5.1 channel discrete input you won't have anyplace to connect the output of your card to. If if has a digital input and your audio card will output SPDIF digital audio then go that way. If the STV doesn't have digital inputs then just use the front stereo outs from the audio card (set the output to 2 channel) and let the Dolby ProLogic processing in the STV create the surround.