Solved! Am I supposed to see all drives?

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Hello all,

Just purchased a used ASUS G751J i7-4710HQ 2.50GHz 32GB GTX 860M 500GB SSD/1TB HDD with Windows 10 Home. I LOVE the "look"of it and would love to keep it, BUT I can't see the 1TB HDD! All I see where drives are normally listed (when clicking on "This PC") is Local Disk C which has 416 GB free of 465 GB, then I see the DVD Drive and nothing else. ... However, I also installed Iobit Driver Booster which comes with a feature to obtain system information and in THERE I DO see where there is a drive that supposedly has 916 GB free of 931 GB.

What's the use of having a drive I can't see and which I have no idea how to use?

I'm SO confused!

Also, I wish I could upload images, but I am getting en error message - maybe because I just now registered?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Since there nothing in it. Could try adding to a pool and then remove it.
that should clear it up, and back to disk management to format/assign drive letter
It could be set up incorrectly, or not functioning, that is the risk of getting a used device.

However, you should be able to see the drive from Windows if you go into any folder on the computer (and if the left pane isn't showing) click on "Organize" and then go to "Layout". Make sure "Menu bar", "Details pane" and "Navigation pane" are all checked. You should then be able to see "Computer" listed in the left pane. Click on that and it will bring up all the drives.

If the device doesn't show there, then it likely isn't working or isn't connected properly.

You should also be able to locate in in BIOS.

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Thank you. Actually, it was not delivered until around 8:00 last night and we were all the way in the back of the house, and HEARD the FedEx person either drop it or throw it on the ground not once, but TWICE. I thought I had to stay at home all day in order to sign for it, and was anxious to receive it, so I had phoned FedEx a couple of times during the day to see if it was still going to be delivered and finally just thought, well, maybe not. Could it have come "loose"? I mean, seriously, we HEARD it - and not once, but twice. If that happens to be the case, could I just have it fixed with no lasting effects? I REALLY like this machine and feel super bad for the sellers if not because they seem like nice people and I'd have to return it.

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
does it show up in device manager?
windows 10? check storage spaces https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces

Yes, thanks; actually I can see three entries under Disk Drives in Device Manager. One is a USB thumb drive I've been using to transfer some files.

The 500GB SSD one under DM/Properties/Device/Events/Information it says:
Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_Samsung&Prod_SSD_850_EVO_500G\4&14e7e349&0&000000 was configured.
Driver Name: disk.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: disk_install.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0005
Matching Device Id: GenDisk
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&SUBSYS_171D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&FA

Then the one I assume is the 1TB HDD because it is named the same thing as I saw in the system information panel with 916 GB, although under Disk Drives it only has its name and not any info. such as capacity like the SSD one has.
Under DM/Properties/Device/Events/Information it says:
Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_WDC&Prod_WD10JPVX-75JC3T0\4&14e7e349&0&010000 was configured.
Driver Name: disk.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: disk_install.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0005
Matching Device Id: GenDisk
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C03&SUBSYS_171D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&FA

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
t6dwHoA.png

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
and check storage spaces?
Oooh - I searched for Storage Space in Cortana, and came to a screen that only gave me the option to create a storage space or pool (can't remember which now and don't want to go back). I clicked okay, and got this:
xVJiDTj.png

So, apparently it is "unformatted". Should I format? Kind of scared to make major changes in case I need to return it.

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
what is under "storage spaces", not the "create a storage pool"

Wow, sorry I sound dense. There is only create pool and cancel on this screen. On the screen before it, there is only the option to""Create a new pool or storage space". The screen before that is just the Control Panel main screen.

2hqC1oa.png

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
the size(max)

Lol. Okay, since I was still unsure of what to choose for the first options (NFTS, Drive letter, etc.) and it had changed since I first clicked on it because I keep hitting my screen which apparently is a touch screen, I clicked cancel and NOW I have the option to delete, along with create, add, rename ... :)

Click delete?

Br1LQqY.png

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
yup. now delete it.
then go to disk management

Ooops. Just now saw this. Thought you had had enough. :D

Deleted it, and tried to create a new one but Create Storage Space (continue) at the bottom was grayed out. Restarted and had this:

7ovdmJW.png

(Basically it just recreated itself again, or did not do anything). Also, still no real "drive" anywhere that I can tell.

Then, when I clicked on Change settings, at the top, the list of option became live, but not sure which to click, as in should I delete it again?

Also, from playing with it a little, I now also know that on the next screen, in order for the Create Storage Space to not be grayed out, I have to change the resiliency type, but not sure which to choose. I guess 'Simple/No Resiliency', but wanted to be sure.

Vli08yn.png

Thanks!!!

Last edited: