Amazing 3D HD Content Crammed Into 4KB

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]tygrus[/nom]It may be just several pieces of code which start with random numbers and dynamically create the landscape and music based on rules and context.[/citation]

Playing the intro more than once will show that the landscapes and the music is the same each time.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
We can't really expect this kind of space saving from any programmer. Not even 1% of programmers can do this type of stuff. These programmers are simply geniuses.

G

They shouldn't have tried so hard to get it down to 4kb. My cluster size is 64kb, so could have used another 60kb and maybe had it running with less demand on the GPU.

G

If they could figure it out, this would be the way to get Digital Distribution to the masses, with files this small, almost any kind of internet could stream it instantaneously

feenyxfire

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
The concept of storing data as 'seeds' to be extrapolated into a 'decompressed' file by a complex algorithm isn't new. That being said, the more advanced the algorithm, the more 'arbitrary' the data set that you are ultimately able to render. The technique mentioned here is not unlike the work done by another group that used computer models of the acoustics of instruments to generate music from music scores, rather than store the actual audio file.
In essence, what you have is the DNA 'seed' of a target file, and an organism (albeit a virtual one) that renders that DNA into the target file. The result is a massive amount of data that is actually stored in two places: the DNA of the file and the complex mechanism to render it into a useful form.
Unfortunately, this sort of technology is only of much use where bandwidth is at a premium, but computing power and memory on either end is immense, which is not the current state of computing these days. If we ever hit some sort of limit to satellite bandwidth (planet to planet or system to system, for all you sci-fi fans out there), this sort of technology will be very important. Star Trek transporters, anyone? :D

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
This is quite similar to the procedural synthesis analysis which is done on the Xbox 360 is it not.

This type of compression will work well in games and is already used to some extent, it could help keep PC gaming stay on DVDs as its helping the 360.

This type of compression does not work for video.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
So its not REALLY hd content in 4kb, its the instructions for it...
Kind of like saying 'Ferrari fitted into sheet of paper!', when really its a blueprint which can be used to make a ferrari...
I wonder how big the file is if you sum all the content which goes through the ram?

patruti

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Managed to play only the "elevated_1440x900.exe" on Vista x64 sp1 with Athlon x2 5600+ hd 4850,the other resolutions just fail to work,but i do not see any "hd content" only a higher resolution perhaps even with 24 AA still same quality,really do not see the point to this in matter of hd content(image quality).

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I have to say it's impressive regardless just imagining the possibilities.

worked fine on Vista Business 32-Bit and McAfee Enterprise with an nVidia Quadro NVS 290. not a very beefy card to say the least (@ 1400x900) - was pretty choppy & McAfee thoroughly checked all the files and had nothing to say

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Amazing, lucky my video card barely makes the requirement (9800 GTX+, similar to the 4850 and 8800 gtx in the readme).
And yes, I have norton internet security 2009 and it said the 1280 by 1024 version was a trojan, though anyone who says its bloated has never tried the latest versions :p
I wonder how it runs on lesser systems.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]We can't really expect this kind of space saving from any programmer. Not even 1% of programmers can do this type of stuff. These programmers are simply geniuses.[/citation]

perhaps not now , but in the future this sort of tight coding may become standard as education levels increase over the years .

G

http://www.scene.org

These demos have been around since the Amiga days... aren't they the best visuals ever?! Why dont we see more visuals like these in nite clubs etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.