Amazon Adds 20th Century Fox Titles to Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I found out yesterday that Amazon will upgrade the free two-day shipping to next-day if the item ships from a source close to you... at no additional charge.

The Prime eligible movies may be limited compared to Netflix, but take this into consideration...

- Netflix; $7.99/month for streaming of a shrinking collection of TV shows/movies. Not to mention the unexpected occasional 60% price increases...

- Amazon Prime; $6.58/month ($79/year) for Unlimited Two-day shipping, Next-day shipping for $3.99/item and streaming of a growing collection of TV shows/movies.

I joined Prime for the shipping... I left Netflix for the peace of mind.

~ Nicodemus

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
"... as well as older titles such as The Longest Day, All About Eve, 9 to 5, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

Um...the titles listed before these are "older" too LOL! Mrs Doubtfire!? C'mon!

Netflix, Amazon, etc only offer crap for streaming (unfortunately). If you want the good stuff, you still have to bite the bullet and get it firsthand from premium channels or buying/renting the physical disc. Otherwise you're stuck with 99% obscurity.

G

there's a good chance amazon is going to buy netflix...so no, there's no battle in any form whatsoever going on. netflix is still far superior, but looking to drop out of the market.

amazon's streaming service completely sucks, although since i'm a member of both (for the free shipping on amazon...it made sense) i'd actually like for amazon to buy netflix and hopefully implement a better system and more titles.

too bad amazon will intentionally leave some of the titles out of prime streaming so that they can sell streaming copies at higher prices.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom] - Netflix; $7.99/month for streaming of a shrinking collection of TV shows/movies. Not to mention the unexpected occasional 60% price increases...[/citation]

Slight flaw in your logic. The 60% price increase is for those who stream + 1 DVD at home at any time. For customers who stream only, they cancelled the DVD service and saw a 20% price decrease. Haven't seen any DVD rentals on my Amazon Prime yet.

Also, are you sure the number of titles are shrinking on Netflix? What is your source? Okay, they are going to loose the Stars contract in Feb., but they are gaining others - and I believe they are actively pursuing more.

Really, when streaming became free on Prime, I had only a handful of videos to choose from (greats like Troll 2, which is free online anyway) - and they have done a good job expanding. However, I still find myself streaming Netflix more often than Prime.

Overall, the only reason I have Prime is for the shipping (I buy a lot there), so the streaming is a nice bonus. If other content distributors get greedy and pull their content and try to sell it directly for even $4.99/month, I won't bite - about $10/month is the limit for me to pay for a streaming service, and I want only one. This is why I don't have cable TV anymore - too pricey for me. Also, who wants to remember 7 different passwords and go hunting through 7 different streaming sites to watch a show.

G

Who says Netflix won't do another random price increase by splitting streaming movies and tv? TV for 8 dollars, Movies for 8 dollars or whatever. That way, its not a price increase, it's only a price increase for those who want to keep both. Not really a "flaw in logic" to be annoyed by netflix...it's just that they have frustrating business practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.