Amazon Announces New, Improved Kindle in Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
This is good news in the eBook price wars. I think that Barnes & Noble needs to make another price cut and do some serious marketing if they want to keep competing. I have the Nook and like it alot, but think they need to be on their game with having the lead in adoption and in name recognition.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Nicely done kindle....graphite looks nice. Apple can't even try, the black iPad would heat up even more outside in the sun than its white ones (that are getting sued over)!

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
its nice, but it is lacking in one area. it has no number keys. My old Kindle 2 has number keys. I do love my old Kindle 2, but this one is tempting.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jon bon wonton[/nom]Yep, I think this will be the generation I'll purchase.[/citation]
Looking pretty attractive now, price and style.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Sounds pretty good, but I still think that I'd go for a Nook over this. Admittedly this sounds more appealing, I just don't like Amazon.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Ive had my Kindle for 6 months now and read about 8 books on it. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. I would never had bought it for myself, I got it as a present. I thought I wouldn't use something like the Kindle. I was wrong, I love it. Its funny that now I can download the kindle app on my Droid phone... I can download all my books to it. But its still not the Kindle (the screen matters and LCD screens suck to read on).

Conner Macleod

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
This is a huge improvement, especially with the improved battery life (1 month) and a web browser. That and it weighs less than a paperback book, incredible. Since the wireless service is free in 100 countries, you basically have a miniature laptop that you can use virtually anywhere on the planet, and it's free Internet, unlimited! Even though it lacks flash, video and color support, those are very minor cons considering what you're getting for free, and it serves perfectly as a general browser to get whatever info you need. Not to mention the free 1.8 million books you can get. For $189 you can't beat this.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
LoL, again with "faster page turns". I'm not sure what's making them so slow now (a software update recently made the Nook page turns faster, so its not necessarily a hardware limitation of the display), but I'd stop announcing that as an improvement, even if its true. It's more embarrassing than impressive.

Now, better contrast, lighter weight, those are good. Wi-Fi and more storage, well, your closest competitor already has those, you'll have to do better somehow. No EPUB support, still? Shame on you Amazon. Its one thing to not want them buying books somewhere else, its another thing to not let them read free books using that format.

zjuice

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
This is a good price. I recently bought a nook for $149 and I love it. The price is about right now, compared to $259 or higher. I have messed with both and I prefer the nook, I think it is worth the extra ten dollars.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]No EPUB support, still? Shame on you Amazon. Its one thing to not want them buying books somewhere else, its another thing to not let them read free books using that format.[/citation]
Agreed. Their hardware sounds great, but I just don't want to be tied to Amazon. And I don't want to buy books that I'm only licensing from them and they can remove them at any time.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]ulysses35[/nom]Hmm no mention of "Amazon" only books though - great product held back by limited formats it can read[/citation]
Apparently there are workarounds to convert books to a format that plays nice with the Kindle, but who wants to have to do that?

p3t3or

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Looks great, but I'd really only consider getting one if the price was %50 or less. You still have to purchase the books!

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The Nook only has one detractor which is a shorter battery life in comparison. My wife reads a book a day and when we went shopping for a e-reader the nook won hands down in a side by side evaluation.
It plays MP3s, Reads multiple formats, has expandable memory and a replaceable battery.
for only $10 more you get a machine far superior to the kindle IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.