Amazon Caught Buying Parts for Kindle Fire Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozonic

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Bring on the $200 quad-core Tablets![/citation]
quad core for what? what do you do in your table that you need to have a quad core SoC, i agree with progress, but we should make progress in battery life right now.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]A quad core tablet is useless without the battery life to go along with it. CPU technology has always been well ahead of battery technology. It's going to start biting companies unless they start to close the gap.[/citation]

Very true, we're unfortunately stuck with lithium-ion for the time being.. 6-10 hours seems to be pretty good on a tablet, at least for me. It really comes down to SOC design, and software utilization. Tegra 3 does a decent job, now they just need more software to utilize it.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]quad core for what? what do you do in your table that you need to have a quad core SoC, i agree with progress, but we should make progress in battery life right now.[/citation]
Because idiots that think they might benefit from a quad core for simply looking at eBooks will buy into it.

I've been on a Dual Core desktop since 2007 and it runs all that stuff fine, and yes it runs Crysis. You don't need a Quad core tablet.

A quad core phone, I can see, since I envision the future of being able to install everything onto your phone and dock your phone somewhere. A tablet, no.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Because idiots that think they might benefit from a quad core for simply looking at eBooks will buy into it.I've been on a Dual Core desktop since 2007 and it runs all that stuff fine, and yes it runs Crysis. You don't need a Quad core tablet.A quad core phone, I can see, since I envision the future of being able to install everything onto your phone and dock your phone somewhere. A tablet, no.[/citation]
People, people... stop with the name calling already.
Same future you envision could include a tablet that you can dock somewhere, do your work on it (with the 4 cores) and then sync it with a dock. Same logic.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Or programmers could stop being lazy and make the apps multithreaded so they run faster. Just a thought. Honestly it's not that difficult (coming from someone who is learning how to do it), but I guess it takes a little more time. Even so, laziness.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Competing against Apple on the high-end market share. I wish Amazon well, because it's going to be enjoying to watch Apple squirm and respond to the threat.

$20 says that there's going to be a lawsuit war soon.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]A quad core tablet is useless without the battery life to go along with it. CPU technology has always been well ahead of battery technology. It's going to start biting companies unless they start to close the gap.[/citation]
Blah blah blah, cores not being used will be automatically down clocked, undervolted, or put in a sleep state, so more cores != less battery life unless software is using those cores.

Yea, Lithium ion batteries haven't seen a real energy density improvement in a long long time.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ragenalien[/nom]Or programmers could stop being lazy and make the apps multithreaded so they run faster. Just a thought. Honestly it's not that difficult (coming from someone who is learning how to do it), but I guess it takes a little more time. Even so, laziness.[/citation]
Multithreaded does not mean multiprocessor aware. I have a feeling most software on these devices are multithreaded because it's a normal way of creating software, different modules.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]quad core for what? what do you do in your table that you need to have a quad core SoC, i agree with progress, but we should make progress in battery life right now.[/citation]
You don't drive innovation with yesterday's technology. Technology advances always go first, then software makers find innovative ways to make use of that technology. This is how it has always been whether we are talking about tablets, cell phones, or computers. Nobody buys a high end graphic card to play what is on the market right now, you buy it for the games that will come later on. The advanced hardware eventually opens up new technologies and innovations that weren't available previously.

With that said, I highly doubt they are going to put a quad core chip in the new $200 tablet. Maybe the higher end 9" version will have one, (at a higher end price as well), but a quad core $200 tablet is still some time away. Personally I'd rather see a lower priced full size tablet with a decent dual core chip, or at least a tablet that can do most of what a laptop can. That would easily be worth $500, but so far one doesn't exist.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Sadly what I really hope this means is I can grab a $100-150 (add supported?) kindle fire in the near future. I haven't had time or money for gaming since becoming a dad, and honestly the most I do with a PC now is record music and surf the web. Did I just talk myself into justifying tablet ownership?

G

With Ubuntu running ok on my Samsung SGSII T989 (VNC'd in from the desktop), Quad Core is required for the next gen of "killer app" which is the dual mode devices ala they are phones/tablets until they've docked and then become your normal desktop. iOS and Android devices should both be able to do this pretty well (with sufficient proc/gpu/memory) as the mobile and desktop are running the same OS. Win8 *might* be able to go dual mode with the kernel consolidation, provided their engineers didn't hardcode too badly (again).

Status
Not open for further replies.