Amazon Caves to Pressure, Pulls Pedophile Book

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think maybe some of you have missed something here. All of us want to protect our children and all children but the best way to do this is "Know Thy Enemy". Maybe some have missed an opportunity to see how these predators work and therefore able to recognize the thingswe should look out for and be better prepared to educate our children.
Billie

crisisavatar

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I am extremely disappointed in Amazon. When I saw their first response I was blown away by the maturity and the intellect it communicated but now that is all gone.

agent_47

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I say leave the book up, advertise it like crazy, then start tracking everyone who buys a copy... Hell, sell it for $1 to get more hits, and more suspects!

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
it's illegal alright, but it does exist in our society...... since no one wants to talk about it, because it's so boldly opposed,everyone is scared of the topic.
So, from what I see from the description of the book and what it was meant to do, was, give the pedophiles a more humane nature to maybe something that could be the most violent crime of our times.....
In a way, writing the book and publishing it for the people seems like a good idea as long as it teaches the pedophiles to be more human than animal, but, it won't stand up in court to reduce a sentence if a convicted pedophile was to say, I read the book and followed the guide.....
It ain't a guide to pedophiles.......
It's a book, it's someones perception about a situation that exists in the society today..... if by not reading about it, it becomes in-existent than it was ok to pull off the book..... but if by it staying there it saved a kid from being brutalized...... yeah, it was worth keep in the shelf.....

SethEffect

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Funny how all those invoking the 1st Amendment in defense of this book are the same ones giving thumbs down to anybody who dares express an opinion opposite to their own...

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Maybe all the people who purchased the book should be investigate for being pedophiles? Sounds like a good way to flush them out!

Still, it's disgusting that someone would even write such a book.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Amazon should sell the book and pass the details of all who buy the book to the appropriate law enforcement agencies for monitoring.

We may just catch some more pedo's than usual because of it.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]AngelRaiter[/nom]Seriously?? You think it's right for someone to invoke the 1st when writing a book on this subject, or better yet, when buying one???I agree we must protect our rights, but allowing a book, a guide to pedophilia, to circulate (or be published for that matter) is just too much! I mean, people who search for that stuff on the internet get arrested, but a guy who writes a book on it calling it a guide to love and pleasure is walking around freely??Pedophilia is probably the most horrible thing we have on earth right now, don't think the 1st was thought up to defend this![/citation]

Who the f**** are you to decide what is covered by the 1rst and what is not? Do you even see the obvious fallacy of your point? The whole point to to allow FREE speech... So I take it that they should not sell Mein Kampf? I bet that you also feel protected by the patriot act...

Amazon has the right to sell whatever they want, but its none of your business. It makes pedobear sad that they caved in to a bunch of f**gs.

This is a sad sad precedent.

''the consequences will never be the same''

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
While I absolutely disagree with such a book and its content, I still do not believe in censorship in anyway, shape or form. Information, books, movies, music or whatever form it takes, is not in and of itself dangerous or wrong. How it is used determines that and to assume that only the sicko's would buy such a piece of filth is wrong as well. If nothing else this book could provide law enforcement and those of us insight into the how and why of these people. Conspiracy time: Hell, how do we not know that some agency didn't put this book out there to see who actually bought it.

Anyway I will not condone censorship in anyway, regardless of how disgusting and wrong I myself find the subject matter.

phosun3000

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Do you know why censorship exists? Because many humans can't control thier god damned urges and many want to hurt YOU. From the rampaging gun toting teens, to alcholics and drug addicts, to the child rapists.

If this book is allowed, then I should be allowed to write a pro torture and kill small animals book. Or a how to slit your mother's throat because she won't let me see my friends, or how to make pipe bombs with remote detonation , how to drug someone at a night club and rape them, how to...(insert your ugly how to here).

and I should be able to sell it on the worlds largest online retailer because we KNOW NOBODY will be influenced by my words.

It's a simple question with a not so simple answer, what are the consequences of selling this book?

cngledad

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I believe that this is censorship. Books on murder, rape and such are allowed but contain the word pedophile, and it's an instant strike out. There's something wrong with this picture.[/citation]
isn't there a big difference between a book that's against, and is still about, murder/rape with a book that's pro pedophility which even tells you ways on how to get away with it?

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I don't give a Damn about Censorship when it means removing a book that is made to teach Pedophiles how to Harm children, but keep it secret and safe. That is horrid, disgusting, wrong, F--ked up man. Purely F--ked up.

i'm happy they removed it, this is just unbelievable how people would support "the right to free speech" when what you're protecting is a book teaching people how to harm children and get away with it. Children man.. F--kin kids, kids that just wanna have fun and live life without some god damn sick f--k touching and hurting them. And for there to be a book to encourage "safe" touching and sexual conduct..

Unbelievable.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]Pedophiles don't need a guide in order to do the sick things that they do.While the bookseems to give instructions to do horrible things, getting rid of it weakens the freedom of speech.Think about it, that is how people lose their everyday freedoms. Politicians use reasons like this to basically gain control over your rights.One of the worst things that can happen is the censorship of information, if it is allowed then the government can so the same thing that is happening in north korea where their government gets to choose what information the people have access to. The result of that is compared to the rest of the world, much of the technology and the knowledge is basically outdated by nearly 60 years. Most people don't even know what the internet is over there, most of the people are starving because there is a lack of education which also leads to a lack of people with the knowledge of health care and anything that requires more than manual labor.Making that book was a horrible thing to do and as people we should be against anyone buying it, more strongly, we should be against censorship as when it is allowed, it is abused.[/citation]

I'm sorry, but there is a limit to everything. Free speech is a beautiful thing, and I highly doubt our right to free speech will be harmed or shortened any time soon.

But to allow a book on teaching adults how to safely sexually molest children, and keep them quiet? and avoid the law? This is just sick, Sick, wrong, and should not be allowed. Its teaching people how to commit very bad crimes. This should be censored, 100%. This is the flaw to free speech, free speech can encourage more crime, like this book for example.

Imagine having a few kids and 1 of them is constantly being molested, but not telling anyone because the fella has this book. Then your kid ends up committing Suicide, or harming themself in the near future because of it all. Or growing to have serious social problems, etc.

Free speech can be thrown out the window for this case, because even I wouldn't allow such a book to be on the streets. Fucking sick.

t0mmy1977

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
John Walsh will be doing a show on American pedefiles traveling to Cambodia to rape children. I suppose you people here think that he should be sued for defamation of character by these evil people?

scimanal

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
"Do you know why censorship exists? Because many humans can't control thier god damned urges and many want to hurt YOU. From the rampaging gun toting teens, to alcholics and drug addicts, to the child rapists.

If this book is allowed, then I should be allowed to write a pro torture and kill small animals book. Or a how to slit your mother's throat because she won't let me see my friends, or how to make pipe bombs with remote detonation , how to drug someone at a night club and rape them, how to...(insert your ugly how to here).

and I should be able to sell it on the worlds largest online retailer because we KNOW NOBODY will be influenced by my words.

It's a simple question with a not so simple answer, what are the consequences of selling this book?"

You mean these books?
http://www.amazon.com/Box-Bunny-Suicides-Andy-Riley/dp/0452292336/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289580396&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Fire-Bomb-Designs-Technicians/dp/0873647807/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1289580351&sr=8-13

Your statement, tells me, that you feel you and others are incapable of making decisions for oneself and defending them in front of ones peers. One in this situation should then have their actions dictated to them? What would keep the "puppet master" from doing ill will in this situation? In America we feel very strongly about freedom, because it was the exact situation you describe we wished to escape. It is not 'easy' to be free, but America chose this path so we could all seek our own happiness.

To those who argue the subject matter in this book is bad, fine, but if these gaping wholes exist for pedophiles to escape consequence, would a book about their tactics be nothing short of the best possible thing to educate not only yourself but the lawmakers and police who work to stop this activity? If someone was stealing from a cookie jar, it would be almost incomprehensible how valuable it would be to have a dossier from them explaining how they did it... The arguments in this thread basically boil down to knowledge is dangerous, and sure it is, but we have plenty of educated and highly trained combat veterans around us, and you don't see them mowing down civilians, a gun by itself isn't dangerous, it is the action of using it that hurts. A pedophile has consequences for their actions, and they are dire here in the United States, a pedophile has an inclination towards children before they ever pick up a book, this is as outlandish as stating people 'turn gay' after reading a book.

In summery, thumbs down to Amazon.

scimanal

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]I'm sorry, but there is a limit to everything. Free speech is a beautiful thing, and I highly doubt our right to free speech will be harmed or shortened any time soon.But to allow a book on teaching adults how to safely sexually molest children, and keep them quiet? and avoid the law? This is just sick, Sick, wrong, and should not be allowed. Its teaching people how to commit very bad crimes. This should be censored, 100%. This is the flaw to free speech, free speech can encourage more crime, like this book for example.Imagine having a few kids and 1 of them is constantly being molested, but not telling anyone because the fella has this book. Then your kid ends up committing Suicide, or harming themself in the near future because of it all. Or growing to have serious social problems, etc.Free speech can be thrown out the window for this case, because even I wouldn't allow such a book to be on the streets. Fucking sick.[/citation]

So if I get sick, instead of my immune system learning from the experience and getting stronger so it does not get sick again, my immune system should just get sick and eventually fail?

I understand your position, but I have to respectfully disagree, I would educate my children to see this situation, and to deal with it in a proactive manner.

This same argument has been used in many situations where something is taboo/bad and so we just turn our backs to it, and since there is no active dialogue we lose the benefit of being an educated and alert people ready to deal with this and other situations.

I cannot accept your statement to do nothing, that is not proactive enough for me. I would want to know nothing less than everything I could to help me make better decisions.

G

Who care's about censorship in this manner, saying this trends to the masses losing rights is extreme. Additionally this isn't censorship, I don't know why amazon is being accused of it. They aren't selling a product because the negative PR is viewed as exceeding the positive proceeds, it's a business decision. No one said that Showcase Cinemas censored "Failure to Launch" by removing it almost instantly from the theater, it's just that it was a horrible movie that no one should ever watch, so they made a business decision to stop it.

spunkymunky

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
The book is disgusting yes, but this does fall under the realm of free speech and dont think it doesnt just because it discribes how to commit crimes. There are many books that due this and even telivision shows. All this CSI crap murder/rape dramas teach people what not to due when commiting a crime. What exactly is the difference. Murder and rape is just as bad as crimes against children.
Also we must point out that the age of 18 is kind of arbitrary and the age of "pedofilia" is different depending on country and even different states in the US. lets not clump everything to gether with the real criminals that are actually mentally sick. Im in no way defending true pedifiles but i am defending those 19 year olds out there that are in relationships with 16-17 year olds. With that being said "Know your enemy" as the art of war states. While many would never purchase the book it could be a references to keep children safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.