Amazon Caves to Pressure, Pulls Pedophile Book

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
The only part of censorship Amazon would be a part of, I think, is if they began deleting comments for this book on the website. Let's keep in mind that Amazon is not the one writing this book, they had it as a product as a reseller. The book still exists and I'm sure can be bought some places.

So basically, as it stands, if they kept selling the book on their site, they receive a ton of negative press, people buy less, stocks go down, and people lose their jobs (theoretically). This is capitalism. You try selling a product that pisses off people, right or wrong, and it hurts your business.

So I think, while its absolutely a disgusting idea for a book, it's fine for it to be available. Amazon is well within their rights to not offer it on their website. Keep in mind, for them, it is a product and they are fully within their rights to not offer it on the website.

G

If children had any say in this, what would they want out of this situation? My guess is that they would appreciate NOT having books for sale that promote and guide sickos that are going to prey upon them. It is our job as adults to stand up for children whether they are ours or not. Come on people. Censorship, absolutely not. But in this situation and situation only, lets not be so worried about our rights, and think about who this is REALLY going to hurt in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.