Amazon dot cable conversion question

MarcusUK

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Just bought an Amazon dot trying to link to my stereo, only have a toslink optical in connection on my stereo and no Bluetooth. Can you get a converter that converts the 3.5mm audio out on the dot to a toslink optical on the amp. Failing that I might need a Bluetooth enabler for the amp that goes into an optical point on the amp and connect via Bluetooth All suggestions greatfully received, thanks

Solution
Bluetooth is stereo only, The Dot may not output in surround anyway.
You could use an outboard input selector if you don't have any open RCA inputs on your stereo.
Converting analog to digital optical and then back again (in the stereo) can only make the sound worse not better so I would go this way myself.

tdlegrand

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

I just ordered this to solve the same problem. Not sure if it will work but reads like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N8UYGMW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MarcusUK

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

MarcusUK

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Really appreciate the answer, Looks interesting, please let me know if it works.

The other thing I was wondering, if I went for this option, i.e. Cabled option, the sound will be stereo only through my amp from the amazon dot.
If I used Bluetooth is there anyway that could use 5.1 or is Bluetooth also restricted to stereo sound?

If I play iTunes via my Apple TV, I believe that plays music in 5.1 via my amp. I could be wrong. Which means the sound via the amazon dot will always be inferior if in stereo only, is there no way to get an amazon dot to play at 5.1 output. Via an amp?

Bluetooth is stereo only, The Dot may not output in surround anyway.
You could use an outboard input selector if you don't have any open RCA inputs on your stereo.
Converting analog to digital optical and then back again (in the stereo) can only make the sound worse not better so I would go this way myself.

Solution