Amazon Execs Testifying Against Apple in Price Fixing Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Apple is so arrogant and seems to be so full of lawyers that they don't think they need to follow the law anymore. Hope they set them straight for all the shady stuff they've been doing.

hero1

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Talk about tough times. You know Apple is delusional when they are going to court over matters that other players have agreed to settle. They will end up paying dearly and this will surely bring their stock price down even further and compromise their lead in industry with respect to making money. I do believe that it's they are taught a tough lesson.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
it was good to see a well written short, but full summary on what the hell went down. dont really know what a attorney-client privilege is, but it seems apple is screwed beyond belief in this case. Would be nice to see ebook prices go back down to wholesale prices. as far as I remember, the other publishers accused wont be able to adopt an agency model for some time.

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Apple is so used to exclusively restricted products, the Apple Store agency model, and customers that will pay anything for Apple products, it's not surprising that Apple thought they could do the same with ebooks in the real "free marketplace". This is a great example of how the world according to Apple isn't how the real world works.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Sad day for justice. If you're being accused of something you have the right to face your accuser. This is how it's always been. People can't just make statements about you without you being allowed to cross-examine them.

And in the case of witnesses, you can't bring in "surprise witnesses" at the last minute without the other party knowing about it (contrary to all the TV shows).

But because its Apple suddenly people think its OK. Pathetic.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]it was good to see a well written short, but full summary on what the hell went down. dont really know what a attorney-client privilege is, but it seems apple is screwed beyond belief in this case. Would be nice to see ebook prices go back down to wholesale prices. as far as I remember, the other publishers accused wont be able to adopt an agency model for some time.[/citation]
So you're OK with Amazon selling e books at a loss in order to get a monopoly in the market by eliminating competitors who can't afford to sell at a loss?

Do you actually think Amazon will sell e books at less than wholesale forever? If so I've got a bridge to sell you.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Book publishers and writers should be able to set their own prices, not Amazon. Everyone is entitled to earn a living. I write tablet software fora living and charge what I think my software is worth to ensure I make a living out of it. The last thing I would want is someone telling me I can't do that.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
From what I gather from all of this. Amazon clicked onto the price fixing and basically made sure they didn't get sucked into the vortex. Now Apple is having a whinge because they didn't think of that too

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]Book publishers and writers should be able to set their own prices, not Amazon. Everyone is entitled to earn a living. [/citation]

It was Amazon that wants to be able to determine the price, not the other way around. Apple and the accused book publishers were setting the price via the agency model and no one else could acquire the ebooks unless they agreed to the pricing model. Basically Amazon and the US government agree with you.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
If you're being accused of something you have the right to face youraccuser. This is how it's always been. People can't just make statements about you without you being allowed to cross-examine them.

And in the case of witnesses, you can't bring in "surprise witnesses" at the last minute without the other party knowing about it (contrary to all the TV shows)."

What an idiot. Apple knows all about them, has already talked to them, and will get to cross examine the Amazon execs/witnesses to their heart's content -- ONCE THE FREAKING TRIAL COMMENCES!!!

"the fruity company recently tried to gain MORE access to two top Amazon ebook executives"

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]From what I gather from all of this. Amazon clicked onto the price fixing and basically made sure they didn't get sucked into the vortex. Now Apple is having a whinge because they didn't think of that too[/citation] I don't like snitches, but in this case I'll make a exception considering I like Apple much less.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]So you're OK with Amazon selling e books at a loss in order to get a monopoly in the market by eliminating competitors who can't afford to sell at a loss?Do you actually think Amazon will sell e books at less than wholesale forever? If so I've got a bridge to sell you.[/citation] There is really no reason they couldn't if by whole sale you mean pricing of it's retail softcover counterpart the fact is ebooks are a bit cheaper because they should be you don't have to ship them which is a added cost and you don't have to print them either another added cost and you don't have to pay Apple a licensing fee another added cost.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]So you're OK with Amazon selling e books at a loss in order to get a monopoly in the market by eliminating competitors who can't afford to sell at a loss?Do you actually think Amazon will sell e books at less than wholesale forever? If so I've got a bridge to sell you.[/citation]
you must not be understanding how the whole price fixing thing went out. its not just amazon who was affected. it was every major retailer. they were all forced into the agency model. before the ipad, every retailer had big sales and low prices similar to amazon.

before the ipad, amazon wasnt the monopoly some claimed they were. amazon created the kindle which was just the preffered device by miles and thats the sole reason they were the dominance in the ebook market. right now, B&N is the only other giant ebook seller left competing in the ereader market and they have a solid, competitive product that doesnt crumble in the kindles shadow like in the past. and Ive enjoyed the sales both these retailers have always had(along with now defunct borders). Id say competition will be stronger after this whole trial.

markheber

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
It looks like everybody is missing the point. Every one is talking about price fixing but that is not what the law suit is about. It is about collusion.
Anybody upstream in the publishing business can legally fix the price of a book. The author can tell the publisher, the publisher can tell the distributor, the distributor can tell the retailer and the retailer can tell the end user what the price is.
Without collusion everything Apple did was totally legal. With collusion, everything that Apple did was Illegal.
The plea bargain with publish says that in a few years they can go back to doing exactly what they were doing before. The price fixing and agency model are totally legal if done right.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
This is kinda why people pirate books to begin with. Ebooks are great and all but are, for the most part, too expensive for what you are receiving. Most paperback books cost around $7-10. The ebooks of these books should be no more than $4. Why? There are no printing costs, there are no distribution, inventory, or other costs, so why do many ebooks cost as much as the full paperback version. I will refuse to pay any more than $4 for an ebook (read it from the library, etc). (Not to mention the DRM). The author will have lost a paying customer.

If you charge a fair price for your books people will buy them.

In my opinion: Typical paperback costs $8.99. Ebook should cost only $4. (the same amount of money goes to the author--publisher--You aren't printing anything so yes, you should be making less).

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]pacomac[/nom]Book publishers and writers should be able to set their own prices, not Amazon. Everyone is entitled to earn a living. I write tablet software fora living and charge what I think my software is worth to ensure I make a living out of it. The last thing I would want is someone telling me I can't do that.[/citation]

If you tell Amazon they can sell your software/book/song/movie but you get $100 / sale, do you care if Amazon sells it for $1.00?

The issue isn't the starving writers / publishers, Amazon was paying them a flat rate fee as in my example above. The issue was Apple forcing the publishers hands to either take their business model and force other vendors to use it, or don't sell books on the Apple platform.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Sad day for justice. If you're being accused of something you have the right to face your accuser. This is how it's always been. People can't just make statements about you without you being allowed to cross-examine them.And in the case of witnesses, you can't bring in "surprise witnesses" at the last minute without the other party knowing about it (contrary to all the TV shows).But because its Apple suddenly people think its OK. Pathetic.[/citation]
You missed the little words that said the case inches closer to trial, meaning it's not in the trial phase yet. The defense does not legally have access to witness who meets with the prosecution before the trial phase. Witness intimidation anyone??? Witnesses are treated differently from evidence (and they may not be a witness, just an expert). You're thinking of the defense and prosecution exchanging evidence prior to the trial phase to help prepare their case; that's called Discovery. Google it.

Witnesses can only be cross examined during the time they're on the witness stand. Then and only then.

Knowing the law and thinking you know the law are two entirely different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.