Amazon Fire TV Losing YouTube on Jan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbeast

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
This is why I don't buy these crappy devices... build a HTPC....
No blocks, no limits...

dougster123

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
IT:S ABOUT TIME!!! I've been screaming for Google to stand up for itself and do this since Amazon started this crap! Canceled my Prime subscription because of Jeff's childishness. Originally they prevented streaming to tablets, still prevent casting AND refuse to bring their app to the Google Play Store. Google seems to be the only tech conglomerate that has any measure of integrity.
Note to author - If one of your kids hits the other, you punish both?

pifpeople

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
If it is "childish" of Google to remove their products from Amazon, then it should follow that Amazon is "childish" by not offering Google's products on their site... Yes?

ellett

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Thank goodness. It is way past time for Google to reciprocate Bezos' discriminatory and high handed policies.
The right thing to do is to have fair competition, where both Google and Amazon offer their own and each other's products and services. Bezos started this over 2 years ago when he removed the Chromecast from the Amazon store, even though it was the best selling streaming device by a landslide and has continued excluding Google wherever there was an opportunity. Google, until now, has taken the high road even though it's cost them a ton of sales. Bezos has acted like a sh*t and now he's well-deservedly catching some. Hope you like the taste, Jeff.

shadfurman

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
In the long term this will be good, push consumers to decentralized blockchain apps. These kinds of antics are why I don't buy digital content. Until it's DRM free, there's little way to be sure content won't be blocked retrospectively.

I use Amazon primarily cause they're the least offender, but only by a small margin.

franki.hauptle

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
Considering how much Amazon has benefitted from Google building Android on which most Amazon stuff is built as well as YouTube and search etc, and since Google happily has any Amazon apps in its store.. it seems silly that the author thinks Google should just roll over and let Amazon have their way with them. Amazon is used to getting it's way. About time they get shown how nice exclusionary tactics feel.

franki.hauptle

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
I would add that the amazon comment about blocking an open site is untrue too. They actually say you get the standard web view when you visit the site so they are not blocking the open website.. they are blocking an app that selectively shows parts of the open website.

jacksmith21006

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
This really took too long. Amazon started this anti-competitive behavior over 2 years ago and Google should have pushed back hard at the time. Google should have removed Amazon app from the Play store day 1 and we would not be where we are at today.

Amazon has now also removed Twitch from the Roku after they purchased Twitch. Unless someone pushes back Amazon will continue with this anti-competitive BS and must be stopped.

I am a huge Amazon customer and fan but this behavior is just wrong. If this does NOT work then Google needs to remove the Amazon app from play store and then remove Amazon properties from search and just keep escalating until Amazon changes their behavior.

It is disapointing to see Amazon do this because they have won ecommerce and cloud and there is zero reason to behave like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.