Amazon Lowers Price of Kindle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I think I'll pass. Its clear that technology is moving towards everything-in-one solutions and the Kindle is going the opposite direction. It would have been a great device ten years ago. Now, I have my iPhone and I can happily read on that - and do so. I've read several books in the past few months on my iPhone. :)

G

If they really want it to take off, how about $199 out of pocket that includes $100 in free book d/l for an effective price of $99. That's the magic price point for this device which in reality is a fairly low tech device (except for the screen). For $299 I except something like a stripped down netbook not a mp3 player for words. At least it should be able to Surf the internet. Bottom line sell lower or add features.

psychopathy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
ebooks on kindle don't cost the same as real books. many times you save at least $10-15 or more for each one you buy, especially if you buy a lot of new/bestsellers. if someone bought 20-30 kindle books it would pay for itself. it's still too pricey for me. i don't travel enough to warrant purchasing it.

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]I think I'll pass. Its clear that technology is moving towards everything-in-one solutions and the Kindle is going the opposite direction. It would have been a great device ten years ago. Now, I have my iPhone and I can happily read on that - and do so. I've read several books in the past few months on my iPhone.[/citation]

Are you kidding me?? Reading a book on an ipod is like reading a book written on Post-it notes. It's fine for short articles and the like, but I can't believe anyone would willing read an entire novel on it. Believe it or not, the Iphone isn't meant to replace everything.

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I like it in theory, but the device I want doesn't exist yet. I'm really waiting for a full 8.5x11 color version, which would be great for reading roleplaying books.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
still to expensive. they should be giving it away with book club subscription. also many of the books are too expensive, much higher than paper back version, priced at hardcover list prices!

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
When all books are available as ebooks the Kindle, or is successor, will become very attractive. In the meantime there are several authors in my collection that do not have books listed in the Kindle Store.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]psychopathy[/nom]ebooks on kindle don't cost the same as real books. many times you save at least $10-15 or more for each one you buy, especially if you buy a lot of new/bestsellers. if someone bought 20-30 kindle books it would pay for itself. it's still too pricey for me. i don't travel enough to warrant purchasing it.[/citation]

Oh, well kindle on the iPhone is the same price as a regular book. I assumed it was the same for the actual kindle.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]reininop[/nom]Are you kidding me?? Reading a book on an ipod is like reading a book written on Post-it notes. It's fine for short articles and the like, but I can't believe anyone would willing read an entire novel on it. Believe it or not, the Iphone isn't meant to replace everything.[/citation]

One mention of an Apple product and I get loads of thumbs down. I wouldn't ever read any books on anything smaller than an iPhone/iPod Touch screen but reading books is absolutely fine on an iPhone screen. I usually read with the iPhone horizontal, which gives roughly the same line width as a paperback book. Since I'm unable to read more than one line at a glance, only being able to see 15 lines at a time doesn't bother me.

The convenience of always having it with me far outweigh the smaller screen size. I can read in bed when the lights are off with the screen on its dimmest without waking up the girlfriend, I can read when the bus or tube I'm waiting for is delayed and I have nothing else to do. I can easily read in cramped conditions on a full underground train. If I'm meeting people for drinks and they end up being late, I can read too.

This is why the Kindle just seems a waste to me. In pretty much any conditions where I'd rather use a Kindle than an iPhone, I'd rather use a real book than either - i.e. at home or stuffed in with my bag.

If it were $50 and you got a free Kindle copy of any hard or paperback book you buy then sure, I'd likely pick one up. For $300 though, I'd rather buy an iPod Touch and a few hardback books thanks.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Makes a lot of sense for avid readers that also want to refer back to past books and essentially have them all available on demand. For the occasional reader with one book at the time it's going to be too expensive in any way you look at it (unless you like gadgets). Stick to paper or puny screens like cell phones for that.

Nevertheless to expect a device like this for $50 is simply wishful-thinking as Amazon would have to cut cost severely and the result wouldn't be anything we want.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Great for if you travel or commute to work or like gadgets. Expensive yes, but works well.

Can you sync the Kindle books with the iPhone kindle app or do you need to buy the books again for the iphone app?

Icehearted

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
The technology for something like this to be a lot less expensive is already there, but even as Amazon said when people were hooting on about the price of the last kindle, it's a niche device for a very specific demographic. They have nearly no reason to lower the price for anything other than their desire to do so.

For a guy like me, this thing's impractically priced, and certainly not worth the money. On top of which I'd really miss turning the actual pages of an actual book way too much. Someday paper books will and should be obsolete (if it ever comes to a matter fo reducing waste and saving trees), but for now and at this price, no freakin' thanks.

G

Well now that Amazon has demonstrated a willingness to send out a "kill signal" to electronically remove a book on Kindle that some publisher decided to "recall," I wouldn't buy a Kindle at any price. If I buy a hard copy on Amazon and a publisher decides they don't want copies sold through Amazon, is Amazon going to send out a goon squad to break into my house and steal my book(s) back? I don't think so! So why is it any more appropriate on Kindle? (Not familiar with the story? http://www.tomsguide.com/us/kindle-orwell-1984-animal-farm,news-4258.html )

Status
Not open for further replies.