Amazon Offically Announces the $199 Kindle Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Content is king, that Amazon content easily bests iTunes, even if the hardware doesn't.

But we aint folding for cancer research, just how much hardware do you need to listen to music and watch movies?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]a1b2c3[/nom]Does this thing have a nice non-glare screen?[/citation]
Engadget has a photo up, and it looks like the screen is glossy, but that may just be the super bright flash (which even a matte screen will reflect).

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Content is king, that Amazon content easily bests iTunes, even if the hardware doesn't.But we aint folding for cancer research, just how much hardware do you need to listen to music and watch movies?[/citation]
Movies needs some beef at even 720p.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Movies needs some beef at even 720p.[/citation]
Agreed, but the resolution of thgis screen is 1024x600 and I haven't seen any indication that it needs to output by HDMI to an external display, so I reckon it will be OK.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Might be nice if it can be rooted. What's the point in being railroaded into Amazon's own Android App store instead of the general Android market? I guess if you want to use nothing but Amazon apps/services this would accomplish that.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
7-inch color IPS display, dual core, It doesn't look like any Apple COPY, is 7 inch, 14.6 ounces, Android and for $199. This is the first tablet I really find interesting in price, features and because it comes from Amazon I expect this device not to feel or be a cheap build. Hopefully it comes with an antiglare treatment. This may be the reason for the Apple's 25% cut.

I surely want to read a good review first, but way to go Amazon!

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Finally no home button! Was that so hard???

Except it seems that the bottom edge is thicker than the top... They must've really used the BlackBerry template after all.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Engadget has a photo up, and it looks like the screen is glossy, but that may just be the super bright flash (which even a matte screen will reflect).[/citation]

I'm not sure the problem is matte vs gloss, but more about how the original kindles didn't get washed out in sunlight like most lcd screens do. They used a special type of screen that didn't get washed out in the sun.

G

I read Kindle then I read fire than I though libricide and I clicked the link. :p

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Bye Bye RIM - It's the same hardware for half the price... Shhh don't tell anyone!

IMO, i's game over for Android 3 tablets and RIM... Apple still has a hold on $500 and up market but anything below is now Amazon's lunch... Considering what I've seen first hand honeycomb was half baked already... Google needs to drop Ice Cream Sandwich, land it properly and make sure it gets pushed to existing customers, not just new tablets.

I know you all love Android, but they need to do better - less fragmentation, and do a better job with the Flavor of Android installed so rooting isn't a necessity.

Thus far, I like iPad and I've had my hands on a few Honeycomb tablets to compare. The thing is competition is paramount and they are not doing enough... Apple will turn into the old M$ if there's no competition to keep it in check- sigh

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
How easy will the Fire be to jailbreak? Amazon looks to want to lock it down pretty hard core (no Hulu, Netflix, Nook, etc., only Amazon Prime streaming).

Locked down that tight won't satisfy me. Open it up so I can run any and all Android Apps and I might bite, though I still want a 10" screen since 7" doesn't feel like a big enough jump over my 4.3" phone.

I'm in the market for a tablet, but the locked down nature gives me pause above all else on the fire. I'd like to avoid Apple if at all possible. I'm starting to think waiting for a Windows 8 tablet might be the way to go if Microsoft can keep its act together like it seems to be trying to do. But then again, it is Microsoft. Here's to hoping I guess

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
So, how long til Apple sues them?

"Your honor, the iPad has a color screen and can be used to read books as well. Clearly our patents have been violated."

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]So, how long til Apple sues them?"Your honor, the iPad has a color screen and can be used to read books as well. Clearly our patents have been violated."[/citation]
Gene Roddenberry would be rolling in his grave if Apple did that...

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
issues: it relies too much on the cloud, meaning like with the prime service, Amazon can lock you into paying a monthly/ yearly fee for the cloud services, and who knows, they may even require you to purchase the prime service to use your web browser since it is designed around using amazon servers to handle some of the processing (may be like skyfire or opera mini)

Has anyone questioned how much amazon links to their prime service? Their various other features use the cloud and require amazon prime. What if the web browser also requires amazon prime and without it it wont have access to the cloud, and just like skyfire, it wont be able to surf the web, and if they limit your ability to download other browsers then you have a device that now cost you $80 a year to run.

Kinda like how a $200 iphone ends up costing you $2400 within 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.