Amazon Panics and Slashes Price of the Kindle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
[citation][nom]g-thor[/nom]No, not yet. As some have said, it is still at a higher price point than I am willing to pay. The device type interests me as I am an avid reader, but my sense of value says it needs to be much (MUCH) lower.In Canada we have the new Kobo eReader from Chapters/Indigo at $149 CDN. Below $100 is a must for me.[/citation]
Boy your being cheap. I just read an article about Canada having a good economy. I guess it's not good enough for you to pay a fair price for something.

demosthenes81

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
we have an Astak EzReader and love it i skipped on the kindle because of the price and the Astak reader can do a lot more file formats than the kindle

dl100

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Sure I'll buy one for my wife who reads like a fiend, as soon as I can, at a minimum, sell my barely used books to someone else. Much less walk into a half-priced books and buy a barely used digital copy of my favorite Clancy novel.

G

I'm living in Singapore where the price of books is twice the cost of books in the US. By having a Kindle, I've been able to buy books at a discount to normal physical book rates in the United States and I'm not required to pay shipping. I've already paid for my Kindle twice over for the amount of money I've saved in the last year.

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I was totally going to look into a kindle since I have over 100 books that I read a lot, and they are falling apart over the years. When I started to do some research, I found the kindle app for my BB Storm, and forgot about spending $250 to read books. While the screen is smaller, it works perfectly fine for me. Going to port it to the Droid X when I get that at the end of the month, the 4.4" screen will make reading that much easier!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I use my iPod touch, just as functional as an e-reader and capable of so much more.

in the last few months i have read around 10 or 12 books through to completion on my touch, so im unconvinced of the need of expensive devices with special displays.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]I'm no mathematician, but $249 - $189 = $60.Why does the article say a $70 drop?[/citation]

Its good of you to point out the 60 dollar difference is not 70 dollars. However the article said the price dropped 70 dollars. It did not say the difference between the two machines was 70.

Better go back to word based math questions.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]I'm no mathematician, but $249 - $189 = $60.Why does the article say a $70 drop?[/citation]

Well, the article never said the Kindle cost $249 before the price drop, in fact it never mentioned the original price. If you apply your math skills correctly, you'll get to the right answer - $259. However, unless you want it to scratch all over with use, you do need to buy a $30 cover for it too, so the real price was $289. Now it's dropped to $219 including the leather cover. (Unless the accessory price has dropped, I haven't checked recently.) I should know since I bought one for my wife's birthday last year - at whopping $390 including the cover...

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Actually the article did mention the Kindle's original price -
"Amazon announced a Kindle price cut and shaved $70 off the previously $249 ereader"

So there are people here who either cannot count or cannot read!!!!

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]jimslaid2[/nom]WTF! I just bought this thing on Friday, it Has not even arrived at my door. I just got ripped off![/citation]

Depending on your countries sales laws you may be able to cancel the order, then reorder the cheap one (we can do this in the UK)

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Its good of you to point out the 60 dollar difference is not 70 dollars. However the article said the price dropped 70 dollars. It did not say the difference between the two machines was 70. Better go back to word based math questions.[/citation]

[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]Well, the article never said the Kindle cost $249 before the price drop, in fact it never mentioned the original price. If you apply your math skills correctly, you'll get to the right answer - $259. However, unless you want it to scratch all over with use, you do need to buy a $30 cover for it too, so the real price was $289. Now it's dropped to $219 including the leather cover. (Unless the accessory price has dropped, I haven't checked recently.) I should know since I bought one for my wife's birthday last year - at whopping $390 including the cover...[/citation]

Umm, here's the part of the article that mentions the Kindle's old price: "Less than a day after the major book chain made its announcement, Amazon announced a Kindle price cut and shaved $70 off the previously $249 ereader. Now priced at $189, the Kindle..."

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Call me crazy, but think both are a complete waste...
Most of my books are about $10 new, and there's a library nearby.
I don't see something like this being justifiable unless you read a new novel a week, every week (which some people do a lot more than that, however most don't).

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I'd pay $90 for a fully functional ereader which effectively means: a big enough screen, full PDF support, SD card and long battery life. Perhaps touchscreen would be helpful.

G

What Amazon needs to do is force publishers to put the book price back to $9.99. That is what made the Kindle make sense. Why should publishers get virtually the same amount for an ebook that they do for a hardcover when they have no publishing, inventory or distribution costs. It is pure greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.