Amazon Panics and Slashes Price of the Kindle

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I prefer a paper copy but if Im forced to read on an electronic device I can get by on my EVO or laptop which Ive already invested hundreds in and can do the exact same thing a reader does.

G

"Amazon announced a Kindle price cut and shaved $70 off the previously $249 ereader."
Agnickolov, seriously? read the article before correcting others who did read the article

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Its good of you to point out the 60 dollar difference is not 70 dollars. However the article said the price dropped 70 dollars. It did not say the difference between the two machines was 70. Better go back to word based math questions.[/citation]

Vertigo_2000 was correct. What part of the following statement makes you think vertigo_2000 was comparing the prices of 2 different machines (the Kindle is an ereader)?

"Amazon announced a Kindle price cut and shaved $70 off the previously $249 ereader. Now priced at $189, the Kindle is now the cheaper of the two."

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I won't buy a Kindle because of their policy of removing books from your library. Not to mention that books bought through Amazon are DRM protected and only work on the Kindle. I like the Nook more, but its not in Canada (and we don't have B&N stores here). Maybe I'll look into the Chapters eReader.

I'd love to be able to access my entire library from one device. I also wouldn't have to carry 2 books around when I'm nearing the end of one. And the reader should be lighter than a single decent sized book. As long as my books are not tied to a specific reader so I can move to different types down the road without losing my library, then I definitely want one.

G

I got the Nook at it's introductory price and have been thoroughly pleased with it. I have well over 300 books on it to date, some purchased from B&N, some from BAEN Books (I read lots of SCI-FI) and others. about 1/2 of the books are 'free' from google or the Gutenburg project.

Anyway, I used to do digital books on my Omnia phone but that was too small. Tried reading via PC but the backlit part was a killer on the eyes. The Nook/Kindle/Sony Readers are easy on the eyes.

B&N has improved the utility of the Nook a bit. They just added Wi-Fi access via AT&T. Not sure if that means I can surf or just buy books when I'm in an AT&T hot spot :).

They've added a couple of games (Chess and Soduki) and internet browsing capability. I have not tried the internet past setting it up on my Wi-Fi at home so can't say if it's a pro/con yet.

It has been worth the cost to me of the reader. I'd love to see the price of the books come down given that there are no printing or shipping costs involved.

G

The nook is just simply the better of the two, even if it's a bit more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.