amazon prime explantion

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
is amazon prime like netfilx where you stream shows and movies or do you have to buy each episode of a tv show or movie you want to watch?

Solution
Amazon prime allows you to stream many shows for free just like netflix. Their library is a bit smaller but its still pretty substantial.

You also have the option to rent/buy movies that are not currently part of the free offerings on Prime.

mrkillall

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
anything with check prime is free to watch to make it easier when you go to the video section in the drop down menu of departments click included with prime.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Amazon prime allows you to stream many shows for free just like netflix. Their library is a bit smaller but its still pretty substantial.

You also have the option to rent/buy movies that are not currently part of the free offerings on Prime.

Solution

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
it's easy to tell what is free and what is not as the movie poster has a "prime" banner on it if it is part of prime. plus search feature has option to only show prime results.

you also get prime music, books, audio books, delivery with full membership. they work the same and offer a large chunk for free with others pay as you go. though the music part has been seriously nerfed to get folks to pay extra for music service. but still a lot to stream for free on it.

What most of the answers have described is Prime Video. I think that's $35 or $60 a year? I don't recall and can't find it on Amazon's site (they make you go through the steps of actually subscribing to see the price). Yes it's like Netflix.

Amazon Prime is a collection of a bunch of Amazon services for $99/year, including Prime Video.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200444160

Frankly, except for a few TV series and older movies, the selection of Prime Videos is not very good. I don't think Prime Video is worth it even at $35. But the full Amazon Prime membership can be worth it especially if you use several of the offered services. Free 2-day delivery is the big one. But after Prime Videos and Prime Music, Prime Photos (cloud backup of your photos, unlimited number and size) is also very useful and little-known. If you own a Kindle device, the library is good too.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
prime video is actually $8 a month ($96 a year) by itself!! which makes it rather silly to get since for $99 a year you get the full prime membership. students can get prime for half price i believe it is. something like 3 months free and then half price for the year.