Amazon Selling UltraViolet Films for Warner Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't like Ultraviolet anyway. I preferred the old method of a digital copy you would get when you would by a BluRay+DVD+Digital Copy combo pack of actually downloading either a Windows Media file or an iTunes file and having it in my possession so I could play it how and when I wanted.

I'm getting sick of this cloud.

spasmolytic46

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I'm so sick and tired of companies acting like its a privilege to access content I already own. I'll just keep ripping and encoding things myself. I'll also keep supporting the efforts of others to do the same. Thank you Linux and free software communities.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hey Kevin, dont be a fool. Maybe you dont care about the highest picture quality or sound available (which you wont get, and will never get from anything streaming) Doesnt mean everyone feels the same way. Physical format wont die. Just like PCs wont die.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I don't see the problem with ripping blue ray movies on to your portable device, the copy protection has long been defeated.

qhoa1385

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
so now I need high speed internet + tons of bandwidth just to watch a movie? and also Seller/Producer will jack up the price because they'll claim "WATCH ANYWHERE!"

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]thefiend1[/nom]Hey Kevin, dont be a fool. Maybe you don't care about the highest picture quality or sound available (which you wont get, and will never get from anything streaming) Doesnt mean everyone feels the same way. Physical format wont die. Just like PCs wont die.[/citation]
Well, I have a 50 megabit connection, and I can stream over 20GB a hour. I cold triple my speed through my ISP if I cared to pay enough. I'd go for full Bluray streaming if offered.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Sorry, I refuse to buy anything with Ultraviolet. I get digital copies so when I fly, or long car trips with kids in back watching on laptop. Can't do that with Cloud.

So, I'm with now buying the cheap BD only version and ripping.

Used to pay more, gladly, for the BD/DVD/Digital Copy... I guess I should thank Ultraviolet for saving me money and not supporting them. I have 2 Sony 400 BD Changers and have always bought my BD's.

Now with things like WD-live, I'm now enjoying ripping them to MKV's,

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
that is why i still have netflix, i rent, rip and burn... i also don't torrent or share them. i now have an extensive collection of movies i can "rent" any time i want from netflix.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Just like every format behind it - this is the one..

Films on cloud, no more storage of films. Watch films on the go if your in a hotel etc etc on your ipad or laptop. This would revolutionise the way we watch films.

Every device should have this installed and then choose the films you have paid for..
Sounds like a result to me.

Dont think the cinemas will like it much tho...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"Many consumers don't want to purchase DVDs or Blu-ray movies anymore -- they want digital versions they can watch on their laptop, their tablet, their smartphones and their portable media player (like the iPod Touch) without having to jump through hoops or beg Hollywood for extra permissions." where are these many people that these article always mention .. they say the same shit about games too , but EVERY ONE i know still prefers physical media over digital media. so where are these numbers ??? hell half the country doesn't even have the bandwidth to get/download SD movies let alone HD movies or UV movies. so show me the figures where are all these jumpers to digital media ???

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
-- the movies can even be played within Facebook (there's an app for that). That's the awesome aspect of UltraViolet.

...so this only reminds me of the people on Wall-e who float around fat and obsessively focused on their screens that act shocked that a world exists behind the monitor - completely bewildered.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I like the idea of streaming a movie that I have bought even if I don't have a disc with me, for example I know for a fact I have Inception on Bluray but if I am on a long train journey I would either connect to the trains Wifi or tether to my phone and watch it should I feel like it.

But if I know I am going somewhere with no connection, such as a holiday where there is no coverage, or if my ISP at home has a FUBAR and I lose my internet for certain amount of time, I would like the security of having a physical copy along with all my other movies.

So good for Amazon for not enforcing that you need a disc, but I still want that disc at some point so send it along anyway, mkay?

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
demonhorde665 - Count me as one of them. I prefer digital format for my movies, because my shelves long ago got filled. Now, note that I said *prefer.* This doesn't mean I don't buy physical still - but that's because there's still no good way to buy just a digital copy at the same quality and easily use on all devices without a cloud. I still *prefer* to get it digitally.

I'm completely there on the game front. Only time I buy a retail disc is if the game isn't available on Steam/Amazon download.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Until there is an easy, affordable, unrestricted (ie: I can play on whatever device I want, connected to internet or not) way to purchase digital copies of movies I will just stick with either buying or renting them and making my own digital copies. This way I can keep a master copy of the full quality film and just rip it to whatever digital format I want to suit whatever device I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.