Amazon Shipping Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch Early

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The answer as to why, IMHO, lies in the Nook Tablet. Frankly, on paper it looks a lot better than the Fire, with double the memory, space, expandable, etc, and the screen is a known quantity as well. People were lining up like crazy to pre-order the Fire, until the Nook Tablet was announced, and suddenly, I began reading how people were cancelling their pre-orders in view of the competition. Of course, I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect Amazon wants to make sure they don't find themselves with a ton of unsold units they find themselves having to sell at a larger discount than the current price.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
8gb is fine as long as you're using it how you're supposed to; with a wifi connection to amazon's cloud network. It's also not made to be a gaming tablet, and blu tooth? Never used it.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Who bought the kindle fire, anyway? I knew from the get go, I had no interest. There readers are cool, but they can .... on the tablet.

Windows 8 tablets are going to kill android and iOS, mark my words. CAn't wait. Hopefully, someone will come out with a nice sleek one.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]NookTabQuenchesFire[/nom]The answer as to why, IMHO, lies in the Nook Tablet. Frankly, on paper it looks a lot better than the Fire, with double the memory, space, expandable, etc, and the screen is a known quantity as well. People were lining up like crazy to pre-order the Fire, until the Nook Tablet was announced, and suddenly, I began reading how people were cancelling their pre-orders in view of the competition. Of course, I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect Amazon wants to make sure they don't find themselves with a ton of unsold units they find themselves having to sell at a larger discount than the current price.[/citation]

Yep that was my first thought also. Ship em out before people run for the better stuff.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]8gb is fine as long as you're using it how you're supposed to; with a wifi connection to amazon's cloud network. It's also not made to be a gaming tablet, and blu tooth? Never used it.[/citation]

How it's supposed to be used? Yeah right, accroding to who? And for your info most of us don't care about the cloud or trust in the great cloud to protect us.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Who bought the kindle fire, anyway? I knew from the get go, I had no interest. There readers are cool, but they can .... on the tablet.Windows 8 tablets are going to kill android and iOS, mark my words. CAn't wait. Hopefully, someone will come out with a nice sleek one.[/citation]

Has Microsoft hired a bunch of guys to troll the forums how Windows 8 on tablets would be better than food and sunlight?
Dude, how do you know that? Have you seen any working Windows 8 tablet? Have you ever seen any successful mobile device by Microsoft?
Oh, yeah! Windows 8 tablets/laptops etc on ARM won't be compatible with existing Windows programs and Windows 8 on x86 Atoms would be too slow and the tablets too big (you have such tablets with Windows 7 actually) to run your favorite huge desktop oriented applications resonably and even if they run, their interfaces will be completely inapt at functioning with touch interface.
A new platform like a tablet with a new form of input like a touch screen requires a whole new generation of applications. IOS has them. Android has them. Windows does not have them and it is far from release.

The only real way I see for Microsoft to succeed if they give away 50 000 000 tablets for free. Just like when they weren't able to compete with Netscape they gave away their browser for free.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
apple is gonna sue amazon for using 'fire' in kindle fire claiming apple were the first to set people on fire with the prices of their devices and for inventing tablets.
watch out amazon! ;D

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Has Microsoft hired a bunch of guys to troll the forums how Windows 8 on tablets would be better than food and sunlight?Dude, how do you know that? Have you seen any working Windows 8 tablet? Have you ever seen any successful mobile device by Microsoft?Oh, yeah! Windows 8 tablets/laptops etc on ARM won't be compatible with existing Windows programs and Windows 8 on x86 Atoms would be too slow and the tablets too big (you have such tablets with Windows 7 actually) to run your favorite huge desktop oriented applications resonably and even if they run, their interfaces will be completely inapt at functioning with touch interface.A new platform like a tablet with a new form of input like a touch screen requires a whole new generation of applications. IOS has them. Android has them. Windows does not have them and it is far from release.The only real way I see for Microsoft to succeed if they give away 50 000 000 tablets for free. Just like when they weren't able to compete with Netscape they gave away their browser for free.[/citation]

Because I've seen the previews. And if you were a forwarder thinker you'd get it. I've owned tablets, smart phone, laptops, desktops, 1 ring to rule them all... the tablet as a form factor is cool and all, but I don't find if much more useful than my smart phone, it would be though if I could do some power things with it. Windows has the software footprint and the ubiquity to combine the power usage, software availability, and leverage to combine all their platforms. Notice the trending down of windows in terms of hardware requirements and it's increased efficiency, plus the new metro UI for tablet and phone interfaces, you don't get it at all. The tablet is going to become really useful and it won't require a toy OS any longer like android or iOS, plus the power of the hardware will make full fledged windows app a possibility on a tablet.

With that said, windows 8 is going wipe the floor with apple and android, I can't see how anyone can't see this yet. It will be 1984 and the Mac vs PC all over again, and again, windows will come out on top. Unless, apple can do the same with MaCOS however in terms of sheer software availability mac os still can't hold a candle to windows. All I'm saying 1 OS to rule them all. Just wait, mark my words. I got the iPad 2, a glorified iphone, which I also have, windows 8 comes out I'm jumping ship, i also own bberry which as a business device i like way more than my iphone. So, i'm not a fan boy of anyone.

zapata07

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
acadia, if WP7, with it marvelous (?) GUI is the utter failure it is, why suddenly a MS tablet OS will be the tremendous success you say it will be?

Powerful hardware? What about battery life? Applications? They are currently not geared to a touch interface.

All in all, it looks like W8 might be a player in the tablet space but it will have to fight for its life there. MS is very late to the game again and, while they try to play catch up, their competitors will not stay put. When W8 tablets ship (when? a year from now?) there'll be new generation OSs and platforms for their rivals.

The most logical prediction is that W8 will be as successful as WP7...

Status
Not open for further replies.