Amazon Supports Internet Sales Tax (What the...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Not surprised. It would choke out any little growing competator they may have. Reminded me of a radio tax hike that went in effect, that the radio companies were in favor of, way back when internet radio first started popping up.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
No sales tax and convenience are the reasons I shop online. Nothing is inevitable, Amazon, there's no reason to resign yourself to something unfavorable. It sounds like something else must be going on or else Amazon is simply content with cutting into their profits, either of which is stupid.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well living in a non-sales tax state, would this mean that I would have to pay a tax for using an online vendor over going to a local store and not paying a sales tax?

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I really don't like the idea of a national sales tax. I live in a state where we don't have a sales tax, and to have one forced upon us is a pleasant thought. I can see how it would be easier for Amazon to deal with this issue though.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
If this happens I will find little reason to buy online anymore unless retailers cut prices to at-least match the taxes which of course isn't going to happen. There is a chance I already may have to pay for shipping, and have to wait for the product to come to my door. Returns are always a hassle if the product is defective in anyway and make everything even more costly and takes more time. There would be no benefit to shopping online if taxes apply.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]baddad[/nom]Why would I shop on line anymore if there's a sales tax.[/citation]
Because online offers more products then shops locally and its more convenient? I'm sure i could list many other reasons if I took the time to.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Well.. there is always the huge convenience factor of being able to shop online over brick and mortar stores. I would gladly buy a video card or motherboard from Newegg instead of freaking going to best buy in HOPES that I find one. Hell, the fact that I can look at everything from the comfort of my home and not have to leave it to go get something miles away is enough for me to stick with online shopping. The no sales tax thing was just a nice little bonus.

G

If everyone followed the laws that govern their state, this Act would affect absolutely NOTHING.

The thing people have to realize is that most states require you to pay taxes on all purchases made in that state, INCLUDING online purchases (yes, you are making a purchase in a state if the computer you're using is within state lines). States simply can't require those online retailers to COLLECT those taxes for them, like regular brick and mortar stores have to do. People are supposed to report the value of online purchases in their state tax forms every year and then pay the corresponding tax on them. Of course, hardly anyone does this, which is the advantage e-tailers have.. which btw IS tax evasion by their customers. And no, just because politicians do this all the time does not make "right" for the rest of us to do it.

regnineurg

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
people will complain about it, but ultimately very few will stop shopping online as a result of this, simply because laziness/convenience (however people want to sell it to themselves) will win out over getting out of the couch/chair to actually go somewhere to shop. gogo gadget overweight america?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]baddad[/nom]Why would I shop on line anymore if there's a sales tax.[/citation]

Pretty much this; unless it's free shipping or a decently amount cheaper I might as well hit the stores up. I'd probably just use Amazon for reviews at that point.

lemon40

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Amazon has the resources to collect taxes from all the different states and localities. Smaller online retailers don't have the resources. This is simply Amazon trying to thin out the competition.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
For example:

You're an owner of a store, there's a sales tax on your products.

The store next door doesn't have to pay sales tax, and customers are well aware of that.

Why should you sell lower in order to compete against the other store that doesn't have tax on it?

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
amazon has had meetings with our new governor here in california ...
this is a big part of their change in stance imo
They didn't want to lose such a large market

Really a shame, all this tax money will be spent in all the wrong places on all the things us taxpayers don't want/need .... as always.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Blame the Democrats they LOVE more taxes![/citation]

you realize that everything the US government spends money on, comes from taxes. and without taxes we dont have schools, roads, etc....

wunderkinder

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wunderkinder[/nom]"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."[/citation]Thank you Mr. Hicks. You just put me in a slightly less shitty mood. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.