AMD APU + Dedicated GPU; Dedicated GPU not used.

sillybilly259

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
Hi everyone!

I've just made an account just so I could post here because I'm at a complete loss.

I recently purchased a laptop in March which has an APU + Dedicated GPU (AMD A8-6410 + R5 M230). My problem is that the only time the dedicated GPU is used is when I play Minecraft and that's it. Any other game; Sims, GTA, Saints Row..... It will not use it (Even when selected to high performance). So I came to the conclusion that it must be something to do with OpenGL or DirectX or something. Is there a way to forcefully use the dedicated GPU rather than the integrated?

I've tried installing the latest drivers, re-installing factory drivers and even wiped the computer and nothing. There's plenty of threads on the internet for Nivida, but not so many for AMD.

Thank you.

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
In the amd control panel somewhere is the setting to specify which card to use. Wish I had my laptop still to tell you the exact location of the setting. Another question is enabling cross fire an option. Usually that will yield the best performance on this kind of laptop setup.

sillybilly259

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

Hi,

Crossfire isn't configurable in my laptop (Although it says in GPU-Z that it's available). I've already tried specifying which card to use with programs by settings to high performance and it still won't utilize the dedicated gpu.