AMD Phenom II X4 B40 Overheats Like Hell?

RzL756

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014
I have a problem with my phenom II X4 B40 ( unlock From Athlon X3 )...Im Using Stock Clocks and i monitor the temp in Speecy and it reaches 78 C at idle?...Im Using Stock fan

Spec
Jetway MA3-760GSM
AMD Phenom II X4 B40 ( Form Athlon II X3)
Kingston 4GB DDR3
Gigabyte GT 430 1 GB

NiCoM

Estimable
Feb 8, 2014
You're sure nothing's keeping your cpu busy? A program of maybe a virus?
How about cleaning it for dust? Don't think it's the main problem but it would help.
The placement of your pc, putting it in a cabinet or something as restrictive when it comes to airflow, will also cause higher temps, place it under, besides or on your desk.

Else it might be time to change the old thermal paste.

Thermal paste is a thing layer between the cooler and the CPU which helps conduct the heat, thermal paste does expire eventualy and it might be the case here. It's fairly cheap for a tube and aftermarket paste is usally better than the paste from the stock fan, which means better temps.

Hope some of these suggestions will help you. :)

G

Try reapplying Thermal Paste beneath the heat sink and make sure you put the cooler back correctly on the CPU. Try this.

RzL756

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014

Yes...Im sure im not running any task on the cpu...im placing my pc on a table...the weird thing is while speccy says the temp is 78 on idle the fan still running on normal RPM?and the CPU Thermal Throttling didn't reduce my clocks even i set it to 75 C and 87,5%?

RzL756

Estimable
Jun 17, 2014

the thermal paste is new...i changed it last week