AMD RADEON GRAPHICS's driver fails to install, error massage "Application Install : Install Package Failure"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
Oh boy, I don't know how many threads about this question already exist ,but here comes another one. so I have a lenovo G510 notebook with windows 8.1 64 bit , according to the stickers under the keyboard it has an intel inside core i5 and of course an AMD RADEON GRAPHICS card .Now the thing is that I noticed that in most of the games I play the configurations always say that i'm using an "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600" , but I want to use my AMD RADEON, so I tried to look this up, and I may be wrong (feel free to tell me if it's bullshit) ,but I believe that my notebook has 2 graphics cards and if I remember correctly they are switchable so that if the AMD heats to much then I can simply switch to the other one, how ever it seems that in order to switch to the AMD card I have to install the AMD Catalist driver and this is where the title comes in. as you probably guessed already I simply fail to install it, I tried multiple times and each time I do i'm being granted with an "Application Install : Install Package Failure" error massage, I tried to look up the problem and I sure doesn't seem to be alone, there are many people with this problem, but unfortunately everyone has their own solutions that doesn't seem to work for me, the most recommanded solutions I found usually saying that the intel graphics card is some how in the way of the installation and that it's the cause of the problem, I sew at least 1 or 2 people recommending to delete the Intel graphics drivers first, but i'm preaty sure that it isn't the best idea and that it can possibly cause my screen to go black, but you know what, maybe you can help me with this because I don't even know anymore

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015

I used UDD and tried to delete the AMD drivers, I then tried to install the the latest AMD driver aaaaand....I got a new problem.
so I no longer got the same error, instead the installation causes the screen go black for a second from time to time, until finaly I get a blue screen that has a big sad face [ ): ] and under it , it says "'your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We are just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you" after that the pc restarts, so what should I do now?

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
ok, I noticed something, I tried the to use the AMD Catalyst installer detector, and I noticed that there is a small difference between the recommanded version and the one I have, the version I download has "With-DOTNet" on the installer file, but the recommanded version says"Without-DOTNet", out of question what is "DOTNet" and how much of a difference does it make?

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
I now noticed something scary, I tried going to the AMD Catalyst AutoDetect again, and it now says I have no supported AMD hardware detected, did I do something wrong?

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
something even scarier, the intel HD graphics is now has an error 19 in the device manager and I can npt use it, did I some how burned my graphics card input or something?

algorithmbreaker

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
Hello Baraksha,

First download the Lenovo's AMD avga143w81.exe (Older driver version) or download directly from the AMD's Catalyst 15.7.1 & Graphics Driver Installer for Windows 8.1 64-Bit.

Uninstall Intel and AMD drivers, if any installed, using the Device Manager itself. While uninstalling, choose the 'Delete the drive software for this device' option too.

After uninstalling. reboot. Disable antivirus program, and internet. The display will use the basic vga drivers. You can then choose to install the AMD drivers only. If it results in any error, try manual update device driver by extracting the exe, and redirect the device to update driver from the extracted folder.

Good luck.

AND, you should NEVER use ANY automatic installation methods. ALWAYS download the driver directly from the manufacturer, in this case, either the laptop product page or the AMD website, and install using the downloaded .exe. Automatic detection and installation routines screw things up more often than not. Are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of windows? Typically, the drivers for one don't work for the other, although in many cases graphics drivers DO use the same driver for both versions.

Download and save the following drivers:

AMD- https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/avga143w81.exe

Intel 32 bit OS video driver- https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/ivga143w8132.exe

Intel 64 bit OS video driver- https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/ivga143w8164.exe

Save them, run the DDU again for AMD. Then install the Intel driver for your OS bit version. Reboot. Then install the AMD driver. Reboot. If you still have issues after doing that, you most likely either have a corrupted operating system that needs to be fully reinstalled, or faulty hardware.

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015

I already tried to download the Intel drivers and reset and the Intel graphics still doesn't work
I also tried to download the AMD driver you gave me and I get an error massage "Failed to load detection drivers"
I also want to point out that now the device manager doesn't show my Intel graphics in the display devices section and instead it says "video controller (VGA compatible)" and it has an error 18 that says I need to "reinstall it's drivers"

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
WAIT, hold on, for some reason all of a sudden both of my display devices, the AMD and the Intel Graphics both appearing in the display devices section, also my Intel Graphics drivers are working again!

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
I now checked the windows update, and apparently the update contains something that has to do with AMD, so I did a windows update, and now I don't got the "Failed to load detection drivers" error anymore and the installation process has once again brought me to the "Application Install : Install Package Failure", so yeah i'm back to where I started

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015

so should I try the UDD again?, if so is it safe to uninstall the Intel drivers?, because I herd of things that can happen by doing that

TRENDING THREADS