alexanderfc

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Been and purchased a new laptop today, believe it all not, from Argos. £450 for Intel i5 Processor, 8gb RAM and a dedicated graphics card, looked at the box and it was not as advertised, it does not have a dedicated graphics card but an Intel HD 4000. Not too happy (thought it might be too good to be true!)

There was another I saw with an AMD A8 Quad Core processor, 8GB RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 7640G Graphics card for the same price. How does the AMD processor match up to the i5 and because the graphics card is the same brand as the processor does that mean it's likely to be integrated too? Also how does AMD stand up against the only two I've had experience with - ATI & NVidia?

I know none of these are designed for gaming but for my budget (£450) I want to make sure I get the best I can.

Thanks.

That will likely depend on which CoreI5 processor and what your system usage will be. The AMD A8 processor is actually a processor and graphics card all in one. Technically, yes, it's integrated but with the processor and not the motherboard. AMD purchased ATI. They're one in the same.

-Wolf sends

Yes, the AMD graphics card would perform much better than the Intel HD4000, but the Intel processor is much better than the AMD processor. Again, it boils down to usage. If you're going for better graphics, go with AMD. If you're going for better processing power, go Intel.

Just curious, though. If the packaging stated that the laptop had a discrete graphics card, it should. Some laptops have switchable graphics (integrated for basic tasks and discrete for more advanced tasks). What is the model number of the laptop you did get?

-Wolf sends

mycutefairy

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
ATI and AMD is now the same. Intel would outperform any AMD processor at the same price point but if you want a better integrated graphics + CPU combo. AMD is is way better then Intel.

Well... even though it says it has a dedicated graphics card, it appears that they consider the Intel HD4000 as such. Additionally, I didn't realize the CoreI5 processor in this system was only a dual-core processor. It's still probably the better processor for gaming, but for multi-tasking, the AMD quad-core processor would be a better choice.

-Wolf sends

alexanderfc

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Graphics cards wise, I'm not sure anyone would go for the Intel HD.

Ideally I would like an i5 processor, 6GB RAM and NVidia 630M graphics (min).

Struggling so much to find a laptop in my budget with an Nvidia graphics card and i5 processor, even refurbished models.

mycutefairy

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Well... even though it says it has a dedicated graphics card, it appears that they consider the Intel HD4000 as such. Additionally, I didn't realize the CoreI5 processor in this system was only a dual-core processor. It's still probably the better processor for gaming, but for multi-tasking, the AMD quad-core processor would be a better choice.

-Wolf sends

Yep. It is the better processor for gaming but i5 is actually a Quadcore processor. i3 was the dual core one

alexanderfc

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM (2.2GHz, 6M cache)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz Memory (2 DIMMs)
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7730M Card

Got all this for £450. I don't think I'm going to find a better deal than that.

sparkplugjnr

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM (2.2GHz, 6M cache)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz Memory (2 DIMMs)
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
2 GB AMD Radeon HD 7730M Card

Got all this for £450. I don't think I'm going to find a better deal than that.

Where did you find this would be interested in something similar.

pcgamer719

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
look at the Samsung series 7 laptop referb on new egg nice price and it has what your looking for. im an intel guy myself but if you go with your choice between the two your looking at grab the amd because it has better on board performance.

tabascosauz

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Get the A8 for better performance in game. I also have a i5-3210m +HD4000 combo and it sucks for games.

Dual core i5 and quad A8 don't compare. The FX 8350 is 8/8 while the i7-3770K is 4/8 yet the i7 destroys the FX.