AMD's Sells Quad-Cores For $1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
So, basically, AMD is giving the Chinese government about 4000 CPUs, retail price a million bucks, actual cost to produce much less. In exchange they get good advertising and a better relationship with a very large and promising market and maybe also some useful technical info about how these CPUs behave in huge supercomputers. I think it's smart on AMD's part.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Catch up? From an architectural viewpoint and in relation to super computers, AMD is way ahead. The memory and I/O latencies are unmatched when scaling at this level and that's why several large institutions in the US have chosen AMD. Alas, what good are products if you can't sell them? I feel sorry for the AMD engineer who has to face the effects of AMD's business model and the global market problems affecting all companies. Intel can accomodate those changes more easily since it has a much larger resource allocation.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
We don’t know how many processors were shipped, but we do know that the guys at the SSC were somewhat surprised to find that they received 1.9 GHz and not the 2.3 GHz CPUs they were expecting
I'm assuming these processors would have unlocked multipliers lol ;)

G

wow... thats amazing! only 1 dollar?! That means they lost proffit by like 300 or 400%

G

Cool, now china will have enough processing power to reverse engineer anything... sweet!!!

kilkennycat

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Thanks AMD for helping China design next-gen ballistic nukes that can intelligently evade the US missile defense shields.

G

LOL @ US missle shield comment.

The US missle shield only works if the incoming missle has a homing beacon on the tip of it. Intelligent missles are not needed to evade our 10 trillion dollar missle shield, any missle "smart" enough to make it here in the first place is smart enough to evade.

Status
Not open for further replies.