America Not As Paranoid As Online Privacy Survey Suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
All of this NSA bullcrap is going to harm US cloud businesses.

If you have any information that can be monetized, better not connect it to the web, just to make sure.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
How would they know America isn't paranoid after all the NSA stuff? What makes you think a paranoid person would give a survey truthful answers? ;-)

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
How exactly do they draw conclusions as to the general public off of 1002 responses to a survey? That's less than 1% of the US population and too small a sample to make an assumption as to what even 1 city thinks......

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Sorry 1000 respondents does not cut it anymore (if it ever did).
Frankly making no comment, anywhere, on this topic seems prudent.

G

The irony here is that by not answering truthfully (and helping to produce some of these results), they actually show how paranoid they really are.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
reply @ Sykozis

That's exactly how the media and government operate. When they want to up play or down play a situation to suit their side of the arguement. They'll sample less or more people accordingly and word the questions in such a way to give more or less percentage to their cause.

For example, Obama recently heavily touted 40% of guns sold do not go through a background check. That was from a study done in 1993 just after background checks were implemented. The sample size was something like 250 people, yes only 250 people. And the question was "do you know if your firearms dealer had an FFL license?". That's like asking if i know if my mechanic is ASE certified, i would assume so, but i'm not really sure. Yet he wants to use this small misrepresentative study to make pivotal changes to the constitution.

The NSA is no different. They want to continue infringing on the 4th amendment, knowing full well they are dancing over the line and getting away with whatever they can. So yes, some groups will seek to discredit any study going against the NSA. But in the end, i believe that most given the option wouldn't want their "meta data" in a database to be searched and prodded.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I'm in progress of closing all my 'free' email accounts and starting my own private email server for family, friends and myself to use. Planning to add encryption to the server as well.

I don't have anything to hide, but screw them for collecting my data without a court-ordered warrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.