Analogue vs Digital

escribblings

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
I am not entirely sure this is the right forum, please move if not.

My PC currently has on board Realtek ALC1150. I am looking at maybe adding a discrete sound card, but that is another matter.

I also am using the Cambridge Soundworks Digital Desktop Theatre DTT3500.

With the ALC1150, would I be better passing analogue 5.1 into the DTT or digital?

I am guessing that by passing a digital signal, it would use the DAC (and AMP?) inside the DTT, but if I passed the analogue it would use the on board DAC. Is this a correct assumption?

escribblings

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
OK.

I will look into the technical details of the ALC1150 on my Sabertooth Z87 and my DTT3500

Assuming I decide to use the digital output and let the DTT handle the DAC, would there be any benefit to discrete cards over on board? Or would that kind of difference only really come to light on the analogue side due to the difference in DAC quality?

Thanks.

escribblings

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Answered this now. Thank you.

Despite the DTT being quite old now, it is likely that it's DAC is better than an on-board one. However a discrete card might be better still.

Despite the fact that a discrete DAC might be better than the DTT's, the fact the DTT only supports 4 channel analogue input (which it upmixes to 5.1) means that it is likely that certain scenarios will make either one the better option.

In fact, one person does just this and uses both analogue and digital inputs from his Soundblaster Z depending on his requirements. (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2004030/board-sound-discrete-sound-card-add.html)