Analyst: New iPad 3 Coming in Two Months

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
As I said on another forum, Apple will not release this product in February. This analyst is an idiot who has never worked in retail. I owned my own business for many years and February is always the worst month of the year for sales. People are burned out/ tapped out after Christmas and can not or will not buy new products that soon. Also imagine if you just got an Ipad2 for Christmas.....

Even January is a better month than February because some people are still caught up in the holiday spirit, or are exercising gift cards or making exchanges (and the later two often end up buying new stuff as well).

Apple isn't going to release a major new product during the worst retail month of the year. It would virtually guarantee a sluggish start to their new product, which Apple does not want. If it is released shortly it will be in April which is a much better month for retail and will ensure that the product has a good start.

Now pay me my analyst fee b!t

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Well, since everyone is going to get 16:9 wouldn't it be wiser for Apple to use 16:9 from the beginning on 1st gen ipad, instead of making newer gen of ipad 4:3?[/citation]

Nope. 16:10 maybe but definitely not 16:9. 16:9 is meant for televisions and is absolute crap for any computing.

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
While you make a good point, Apple sheeple don't adhere to normal retail rules. If they do launch in February, I bet you get the same news reports of shattered sales records you got with the iphone 4s.
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]As I said on another forum, Apple will not release this product in February. This analyst is an idiot who has never worked in retail. I owned my own business for many years and February is always the worst month of the year for sales. People are burned out/ tapped out after Christmas and can not or will not buy new products that soon. Also imagine if you just got an Ipad2 for Christmas..... Even January is a better month than February because some people are still caught up in the holiday spirit, or are exercising gift cards or making exchanges (and the later two often end up buying new stuff as well). Apple isn't going to release a major new product during the worst retail month of the year. It would virtually guarantee a sluggish start to their new product, which Apple does not want. If it is released shortly it will be in April which is a much better month for retail and will ensure that the product has a good start.Now pay me my analyst fee b!t[/citation]

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]the ipad 3's would make good extended displays with thunderbolt adapters if apple implements it.[/citation]

If by extended you mean docked to your keyboard to extend it with touch and a high resolution screen, yeah, that wouldn't be overkill.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]That's not why, at all.Apple likes to make life easy for developers, by keeping resolutions and resolution ratios constant.Do 1024 x 768, and times it by 2. That's right, 2048 x 1536. So Apps will immediately work on the new iPad with no recoding or redesigning.See, that's the key to Apples success really. You get a few geeks who may incorrectly assume that 2560 x 1600 is better, but then they will wonder why there are fewer apps, meaning that they can't actually do as much for it. Apple considers the whole cycle, from manufacturing to developer to consumer, brings it all together in a far more coherent package.[/citation]
Android kills this by being resolution independant. This way manufacturers such as Samsung, Motorola, etc can make the resolution whatever they want and applications will look fine.

Looks like iOS devs got the shaft, they need to develope for 320p, 640p, 768p, and soon 1536p. Android devs write once for Tablet and Smartphone each

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]stalker7d7[/nom]The only way doing a resolution like that would be beneficial for apps is if the developer was incompetent and couldn't make the app work for more than one resolution ratio...This is just a sign of apple being lazy I think. Or not being able to get a display to match Samsung. Either that, or they too will come out with a 2560 x 1600 display.[/citation]

You sound about as informed as the avg droid-head consumer fan boy. What the earlier commentor said was absolutely right. You clearly have no technical or coding background to make such a statement.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I got an iPad for free earlier this year. Not a big Apple fan, but the iPad works better than my Android tablets. I have the Toshiba Thrive and the Archos 70 Internet Tablet. I'm hoping Samsungs new Tab and ICS will rival the iPad.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]You sound about as informed as the avg droid-head consumer fan boy. What the earlier commentor said was absolutely right. You clearly have no technical or coding background to make such a statement.[/citation]

And you're clearly a Apple cultist with nothing to say but support a known troll.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Well, since everyone is going to get 16:9 wouldn't it be wiser for Apple to use 16:9 from the beginning on 1st gen ipad, instead of making newer gen of ipad 4:3?[/citation]
Most android tablets are 16:10. (1280x800)

Apple deliberately chose 4:3.
Consumers think they want "widescreen" or "HD ready" or "720p" or whatever, but in the real world, 4:3 is better for such a small display.

Ernst56

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Full disclosure: I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad2.

That said, not really a fanboi. I like my iDevices, but neither is the Second Coming of Techno-Jesus.

I think that Apple may ANNOUNCE an iPad3 as early as February, but the ship date will be March or more likely April.

The dispaly alone would not compel me to upgrade. Now, if it drops with an A6 CPU, more RAM, the improved GPU to drive the new panel well, and is no more than $100 higher for the base 16GB WiFi model, I'd probably do it. Otherwise, wallet stays in pocket.

For iPad 1 owners, more logical to take the leap.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
And of course, no sources are mentioned. These so-called Analysts are basically screwing Apple (or trying to) out of potential sales.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]deanjo[/nom]Nope. 16:10 maybe but definitely not 16:9. 16:9 is meant for televisions and is absolute crap for any computing.[/citation]
Apple already uses 16:9 displays on the Macbook Air. Also tablets are consumption devices so it makes a lot more sense to use on a 16:9 display than a 16:10 display.

On a normal computer it's the complete opposite.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]stalker7d7[/nom]The only way doing a resolution like that would be beneficial for apps is if the developer was incompetent and couldn't make the app work for more than one resolution ratio...This is just a sign of apple being lazy I think. Or not being able to get a display to match Samsung. Either that, or they too will come out with a 2560 x 1600 display.[/citation]
This has nothing to do with app developers or Apple being lazy. Having an even multiple of the existing resolution makes a lot sense. It'll make the existing library of apps available scale properly from day 1 without any additional effort from the developers. This is important for older apps that may not see as much active updating from the original developer.

G

my best friend's aunt makes $70/hr on the laptop. She has been out of work for 6 months but last month her check was $8183 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read this site, ur1.ca/6055q

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]I got an iPad for free earlier this year. Not a big Apple fan, but the iPad works better than my Android tablets. I have the Toshiba Thrive and the Archos 70 Internet Tablet. I'm hoping Samsungs new Tab and ICS will rival the iPad.[/citation]
In other words: "I have no idea what Android tablets in 499$ area are like, but I hope next version is better than iPad". Smart.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]fellskrazykayaker[/nom]This has nothing to do with app developers or Apple being lazy. Having an even multiple of the existing resolution makes a lot sense. It'll make the existing library of apps available scale properly from day 1 without any additional effort from the developers. This is important for older apps that may not see as much active updating from the original developer.[/citation]
Both arguments are BS.
1: Apple didn't do anything particularly smart, nobody is going non-rectangular pixels.
2. Screen ratio stays the same for both manufacturers
3. You don't need round numbers to scale existing apps
4. Android is inherently multi-resolution

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Honestly do you need to be an analyst to predict that the iPad 3 will be out soon?
I mean...that would put it in line like the previous two iPads.

Personally to me, I don't see the need to upgrade an iPad 2 based on the current rumours. As great as a high-res screen is, A6 and more ram, that all adds up to lower battery life in my mind.

For none-tablet folk, this would be the perfect time to get in on the tablet market, or simply get a bargain iPad 2 (since the average user uses them for media and internet browsing anyway. To those, a HD screen is a gimmick they wouldn't enjoy as tech enthusiasts would. Thats my two cents on it...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007

This couldn't be much more nonsensical.

Any developer, no matter how good - knows what a pain it is to design the same app for multiple resolutions. Any logical person, developer or not, should realise that a lower barrier to entry is beneficial to any app developer. Indeed, it is the major criticism most people put forward about developing on Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.