Analysts: Videogame Retail Decline is Due to Lack of Releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]DjScribbles[/nom]I bet they had to rush to get their negative analysis out before May 15th...[/citation]

True dat.

Diablo 3 says Hi.

zhazhuth

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Manufacturers may be eating the costs of lowered sales, but he believes that publishers will still continue to grow.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]I would be inclined to buy more games if I didn't have to pay $60/per.[/citation]

And there are only so many hours in the day/week, where most of us who can actually AFFORD those games, need to have a job and work and eat and sleep.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I am pretty stingy when it comes to buying video games, especially at $60. I typically don't buy something unless I think I'll be playing it for a long time. Even when really popular, cheaper games are out and my friends are trying to get me to play them, I'm still satisfied with Starcraft II from almost two years ago. I suspect Diablo III will have the same effect.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Things analysts are paid for :
- State the obvious (like in this case).
- Come with completely stupid and unrealistic claims ("The end of the personal computer by 2015").

Btw, it's the editors who claim it's piracy not the analysts. The editors want to keep the prices very high and for that they need an excuse : piracy. Just look at the sales figures of big hits. Piracy, my a$$.

By keeping the prices so high they are forcing people to make choices, that's why good and popular games sell so well and not the others. And some resort to piracy to play the other games they can't afford. See how this can not work well ?
Lower the prices and let's sit back and look at sales sky-rocket.

Maybe I should become an analyst ...

G

hm, let's regress sales against release..oh look a positive correlation. d'uh, what did you think would happen?

I think due to kickstarter and wmdportal (dot) com, developers are getting closer to actual players and the end of publishers (as we know them) is approaching. Publishers need to start providing more value in the gaming software chain.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Dearth of releases? I think it is more because of dearth of new releases rather than dearth of releases itself. People get bored playing the same game over and over again (not counting call of duty fans lol, they never seem to get bored).

burntham77

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Actually, I find myself desiring a lot of games, and there are a lot out there, but time is limited. I work a lot of overtime at my job, and I'm married, so when I do get a few hours to myself, I have to be picky about what I play. Luckily there are some great low-cost titles that take only 5 to 10 hours to finish, like Limbo and Bastion, which is great for my lifestyle.

For the most part, I tend to wait for price drops on games, except for games I plan to play with friends (SWTOR, Diablo III) or titles that I am really excited about (Batman, Deus Ex), but the rest can wait. Frankly, too many of these games are overrated, like the CoD and MoH franchises. Fun, but not worth the full price.

targetdrone

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]TechnoBowl[/nom]No. The decline is due to lack of ORIGINALITY!Everything is sequels or reboots.[/citation]

Someone needs to reboot ET.

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
reasons are obvious, i have been saying this for years...

it is a chain of supply and demand that is dying a cancerous death because no original games are been developed, this is because game studios buy up all the developers and instead of letting them make original games they are in slave labour to make copy cat crap of last years top seller... any original games are tied up in legality rights to past companies etc so you end up with one publisher with rights to publish and another rights to develop, and usually thats a direct competitor...

now WHY is it? well here is why.. DEMAND.. so lets explore this...

right now console are driving the games industry, they are made for them and on them.. then ported to pc as an afterthought this is bad as most games developed for consoles have always been casual games this is why u get messes like Dungeon Siege 3 i love the DS series but i won't buy DS3 because it is console class rubbish compared to its awesome predecessors..

so why is it like this.. Simple.. the pc has Never EVER been a Stable platform to develop for as so much new hardware is released all the time, typical pc manufacturers do not even inlcude gfx cards in pc's they just rely on discreet mobo IGP's and they won't play games. so why would jo public buy a gfx card when they can just buy a console?

in the old days (late eighties and early 90's) u had great computers such as the Amiga which was an all in one computer with special chipsets and it drove the industry as it was a proper computer meant that pc's only had to do a simple port as games where mainly driven by mouse and keyboard... later the pc became the gamers choice as u could upgrade the pc to take on new features of games, the consoles just stuck to dumb games and only attracted kids..

so fast forward, no (all in one) computers anymore, and pc's are just not a stable platform so it will never ever change..

the only thing to save pc gaming as we knew and loved it, is to spawn a PC like platform.. that is an all in one computer...

so for e.g. PPC mulicore processor, up to date GPU and SOUND loads of RAM and in a case like the old amiga's used to be running a custom OS...

games design to run on that platform would be easily portable to pc's this would revive the pc gaming industry

the specs have to be above and cannot be a windows/intel x86 because it would not be taken seriously....

but thats my thoughts, man this is getting to be an essay :-(

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The problem with any analysis of video game sales figures is that they don't include digital distribution. So we should be expecting physical sales to continue to fall over time as the percentage of people using digital methods increases. I hope Valve never goes public, but if they do I'm buying a bunch of their stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.