Android 2.3 Gingerbread Hitting Nexus Ones NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]great that's exactly what we need for this winter. robot cookies. freakin' great.[/citation]

in the spirit of tom's guide geekdom, androids arent really robots

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
The Nexus S is going to have Gingerbread also, but it is built by Samsung.....the company can't seem to get a Froyo update to their Galaxy S phones. I'm tired of putting buggy leaked ROMs on my Captivate. Running Perception B7 now.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
SlickFats,

Running vanilla Android is different from running the Samsung version of Android. If it's vanilla then the updates will (should) come straight from Google, like the Nexus One, and Samsung will not have any interaction with them.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Running vanilla Android is different from running the Samsung version of Android.

If my last Samsung smartphone is any indication, Samsung can really @$&*(^%$ the OS and interface. Probably best to stay away from them.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]and I'm still waiting for 2.2 on my Samsung Captivate.[/citation]
I've had 2.2 on my Captivate for the last month and a half. If you're willing to get your hands dirty, go on XDA forums and get one of the many available 2.2 ROMs on there. You just have to be patient and learn from the many available guides on how to root/install new ROMs. Personally, I use designgears' Cognition (like most custom ROMs). It's free of all the AT&T bloat and runs fast as hell.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Reto Meier (Google Engineer):
Not sure where Engadget is getting their reports. The Nexus One OTA isn't happening just yet - should be coming in a few weeks.

foxikk

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
not really... false alarm, there's other update but no 2.3 :)

source:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/android-2-3-update-now-rolling-out-to-nexus-one-owners/

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I hate phones. I call my wife using skype , from a choice of 100 local wifi hotspots, and If I really need to call someone, I have 25 cents for that. It's beyond me how society is getting ripped off at $50plus/mo ($600)/yr for these phone plans. Do people like phones that much? I know, smart phones, offer a lot more than 'phones' do, but...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]I hate phones. I call my wife using skype , from a choice of 100 local wifi hotspots, and If I really need to call someone, I have 25 cents for that. It's beyond me how society is getting ripped off at $50plus/mo ($600)/yr for these phone plans. Do people like phones that much? I know, smart phones, offer a lot more than 'phones' do, but... ...[/citation]
25-cents for a payphone? I'm guessing you live in New York (where Wikipedia tells me some payphones are still a quarter instead of the 50-cents+ they are in most other places). Typical. You know, the whole world isn't born, raised, educated, and employed within a 1-mile radius as seems to be the case in New York. Some of us don't live within WiFi-range of the nearest coffee-joint. Some of us own cars because we need them to get to places, there's no other options. Same with cell phones, it might be nice if your apartment building has a phone in the lobby, if your internet is reliable 24/7/365. If you actually have the option of free WiFi in most of the businesses you frequent, if you never leave the confines of your city, so that you never have to call a towtruck from the side of some highway in the middle of no where. For the rest of us, who may travel across farmland or desert or forest to get from one location to the next, who may not have a Starbucks in the same building as our apartment, who may not have broadband internet access in our area, having a cell phone just makes sense.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]I hate phones. I call my wife using skype , from a choice of 100 local wifi hotspots, and If I really need to call someone, I have 25 cents for that. It's beyond me how society is getting ripped off at $50plus/mo ($600)/yr for these phone plans. Do people like phones that much? I know, smart phones, offer a lot more than 'phones' do, but... ...[/citation]
Probably because I do a lot more on my phone than make calls. Comparison shop at the stores, use googlemap tracking for my local bus system, stream music from Pandora, watch video lectures to brush up on rusty skills, use it as a mobile hotspot when traveling, and so much more.

Also, where I live, public phones are a lot more than 25 cents... if you can actually find one anymore. And for Wi-fi? Not where I go, or if they are they are "Verizon" or "AT&T" hotspots that I could buy access for $10/day...

Status
Not open for further replies.