Android 3.2 is Shipping This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
FRAGMENTATION!! If this is the only benefit to 3.2 why bother? I know google wanted to step up releases but a release for the sake of one is just annoying.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Unless I can start running Netflix (and I don't mean just managing my instant queue) and Skype or connect to a PEAP-type network effectively in Honeycomb and beyond, Android is simply a "pretender" in the tablet space and a weak OS.

If you want an overgrown Nintendo DS with no 3D that plays fingerswipe games and you don't mind paying $400 plus for it, then an Android-enabled tablet is the one for you!

I am sorry to say, the only tablet that will let you run Netflix, Skype, and get on a secure corporate network is currently an iPad.

The Android tablets with Tegra 2s have superior hardware. I really don't know why the software developers are holding back on it (outside the fingerswipe games). There must really be some limitation in the OS.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]FRAGMENTATION!! If this is the only benefit to 3.2 why bother? I know google wanted to step up releases but a release for the sake of one is just annoying.[/citation]

If you pay attention its bug fixes and adds more hardware support. So it brings more devices under the same platform ... all of those Froyo 2.2 based tablets could upgrade to honeycomb, and 3.2, and 3.2 will install on the larger devices too (like the XOOM and Galaxy Tab 10.1). So this decreases fragmentation by pushing more hardware to the same version.

Also, the fragmentation argument is largely miss-understood. Most people assume this means that an app has to be re-written for every version of android, this is not the case. When you build an app you select the minimum version supported. For example, if I write an application for Android 2.2 it will run on any version of Android 2.2 or greater without me having to change my code. So that 2.2 app will run on my 3.1 honeycomb tablet.

This link shows the current breakdown % of all devices on different versions.
http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

Based on this if you were to write your application with the 2.1 API it would be supported on 95.6% of devices without modification. If you select 2.2 API it will run on 74.4% of devices. Many of the 2.1 or lower android devices are going into their 2nd year since it was released. Based on trends most of those devices will be replaced by new 2.3+ or 3.1+ devices in the next 12 months and 2.1 will fall to the short percentages you see the 1.5 and 1.6 versions in.

This is just like writing software for say Windows 7 versus Windows ME, things change.

The major type of fragmentation that occurs with android devices has to do with screen size, say going from a phone to a tablet. Most graphics that look good on a phone when scaled to a tablet size loose quality. Hence why you can download a HD version of Angry Birds. This issue affects both Android an iOS alike as it has less to do with the operating system and the assets used to build the application. Also, with the scaling of size, generally user interface design needs to change to make better use of the space. Phones require a minimalist approach but having the larger screen allows for more usability. The iPad/iTouch has this same situation ... App Zoom makes a application fit the screen on the iPad but it does not redesign the app.

Also, Apple has at many times had different versions of iOS released for the different devices. Fragmentation occurs on their platform too, it is just more manageable as they are a single vendor with really only 2 product formats (phone / tablet). The iTouch and iPhone are basically the same device minus the phone service. This lets them keep the period of time when there is fragmentation to a minimum and as products become more popular (iPad) spend the time and resources to make sure updates to the version happen at the same time.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Please not the % in my post change over time, that page updates I believe daily to changes in the android install base. So in the future the context of my post would change based on that page.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Uther39[/nom]3.2 on the motorola xoom, your kidding right, they have not even given me the 3.1 update yet ![/citation]
your kidding right, my kidding right, their kidding right - who's checking whose it is?
You're kidding right?

erinc

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I doubt that HTC will support 3.x on the Flyer Jane. They surely wouldn't put all that effort into developing the custom sense software implementation for gingerbread then go and replace it just as the device hits mass market

G

@ubercake

Get off the iNutz. My asus eee transformer runs netflix, skype, and connects to EAP secured servers all the time. Also: USB, microSDHC, SDHC, HDMI out, better screen, better keyboard, less lag, faster browser, full win office compatibility, and no iTunes lameness.

Silly fanbois jock too much.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]iNutz for All[/nom]@ubercakeGet off the iNutz. My asus eee transformer runs netflix, skype, and connects to EAP secured servers all the time. Also: USB, microSDHC, SDHC, HDMI out, better screen, better keyboard, less lag, faster browser, full win office compatibility, and no iTunes lameness. Silly fanbois jock too much.[/citation]

You tell him! I just wonder how fast Asus will be at giving us TF101 owners the 3.2 update

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]iNutz for All[/nom]@ubercakeGet off the iNutz. My asus eee transformer runs netflix, skype, and connects to EAP secured servers all the time. Also: USB, microSDHC, SDHC, HDMI out, better screen, better keyboard, less lag, faster browser, full win office compatibility, and no iTunes lameness. Silly fanbois jock too much.[/citation]
I can't stand Apple. I am absolutely no fan boy. I was merely stating there is no real competition in the marketplace from a software functionality standpoint in the marketplace at this time.

Where do you download netflix? It's not on the market place or on Amazon? All you can do is manage the instant queue. Full win office compatibilty... yeah right. You mean through google apps, right? Is your ASUS transformer running Honeycomb? It doesn't reset your machine when you connect in Skype?

When you find the path to this magical place that lets you watch movies from Netflix on your Android tablet, share it with the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.