Android Exec Would Welcome a Partnership with RIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Does anyone else still remember the old Psion PDA's? The final generation of those, the Revo, were about the size of a current smart phone and had a real keyboard--substantially better than anything I have seen on a cell phone. I could actually touch type on one, using three fingers and a thumb on each hand. If someone brought out an Android phone with a big screen and the equivalent of the Psion keyboard, I think it would be a winner.

_TuxUser_

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
"Forbes reports that RIM CEO Thorton Heins dismissed rumors of collaborations with third-party companies during a conference call on Thursday"

Hmm... Didn't know that RIM had bought QNX...

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Sounds like Blackberry is still thinking this is 5 years ago. They been sitting on their butts. In the consumer and business world you sit on your butt to long someone will knock you out. I think Blackberry has to much pride. Then when Google, MIcrosoft buy all their patients for next to nothing Blackberry will wish they joined forces.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
“We came to the decision that joining the family of the Android players, for example, would not fit RIM's strategy and its customers. We are not trying to be one of many. We're trying to be different.

How's that working out for you?

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]I almost jizzed at the thought of a high end android phone with a good physical keyboard[/citation]
gw620 has pk too bad that the rest of the hardware its just and electronic turtle with paralisis! DAMN I HATE MY PHONE!

queenfan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Microsoft + RIM SOUNDS to businesses like == GREAT!
Microsoft + RIM SOUNDS to consumers like == EWH!!! STEAMING PILE OF MONKEY SHAT WITH CREME' DE LA BUTTFUDGE ontop.

ANDROID + RIM SOUNDS to consumers like == THAT'S AWESOME FOR MY JOB, AND I CAN RUN MY OWN EMAIL OUTSIDE OF BBM ON SAME PHONE. SWEET.

Today's market is dominated by BYOD , Bring Your Own Devices. If RIM wants to sell stuff, they better put out an Android partner phone. They would do BEST to somehow get BBM on Apple and Android and let it be a secure service and very profitable app even on phones they don't sell directly. It's not the same market they once owned, but most of us DON'T DISLIKE BBM OR RIM AT ALL. But, we can't spend the same money on lackluster selections for one thing that we otherwise can find a way around.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Android phone with RIMs messaging/email business infrastructure and physical keyboard? This should be here right now. RIM is hemorraging, they need to be selling Android devices with their own blackberry messaging that will give them a competitive advantage over other Android devices.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Wow... A smartphone with an proper keyboard, I just might be tickled to shell out cash for this! I only hate most smart phones because they freaking lack keyboards! I DEMAND MY QWERTY keys or a proper keyboard setup like BB's

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
"We are not trying to be one of many. We're trying to be different. We're trying to be the best solution for our customers that buy a BlackBerry.."
Different as in an EX-company? Better to be one of many than one of none. I kind of understand that DIFFERENT thought. Amigas were different, they were the best... they did things for many years that MSDOS & Apple could NOT do until 1996~2000. But they became out-dated and didn't do the things that needed to be done.

RIM... I always hated the BB OS... buggy, complicated... but you had the best for the time. Its been 5 years since the first iPhone... and you are talking about another 6~12 months before BB10 is ready?! So by next spring, it'll be 6 years after the iPhone... ouch. The first Android was released about a year after the iPhone.

I have no personal will for RIM to die. I even played with some BB in the at&t store yesterday as I'm about to upgrade. Nobody is buying their $50~100 devices. They look and feel great. The current OS 7 is... well, it works... that's about it. and beside- they are already running Android APPs on BB devices... so why the hate?

They can get NEW BB android devices to market in less than 6 months. Android runs on anything. I played with 6 different brands of Android phones, they all have different Launch screen themes... different looking dialers, different looking Contacts, different options, etc.

Almost NOBODY is interested in BB7 or BB10. But the idea of Android... gets people excited. That *IS* a bloody hint!! So rather than being "oh, those are the dying blackberries off in the dark corner" - your phones can be along side the Samsung and HTC models.

Get over yourselfs... You are a business not a fan-group. Hence, Amiga lives through fans - who make their own non-standard, yet actually quite amazing hardware that HAS no future. They are still too pissed off at intel to re-code the OS into x86 and simply use OFF the SHELF PC parts. But Noooo... they would rather spend $1000 for a board with a 1.x Ghz CPU that is non-upgradable, even thou its military grade. (Its owned by an Apple subsidiary)

Make BBM exclusive with your own Android phone or sell it for $50 on the market for other Androids, whatever. You don't have the money or the time to act like a 5 year old.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Wow... A smartphone with an proper keyboard, I just might be tickled to shell out cash for this! I only hate most smart phones because they freaking lack keyboards! I DEMAND MY QWERTY keys or a proper keyboard setup like BB's[/citation]
Check out the Samsung Captivate Glide, its $50. Has a 4" screen. Its a horizontal slider.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Seriously, why is Android any better? I don't think that Android is better than what BB10 could be.

The only really good thing about Android is that it is open source and that's about it. Seriously a Java phone :D that's in a permanent Beta state with laggy UI = not good!
iOS is also Meh....

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I have a feeling that Blackberry is going to end up like Palm, sold and then forgotten. Palm ended up being bought by HP, tried to make a new tablet and phone with their own proprietary software and ended up Open Sourced.

Well, what I said is a possibility, Blackberry has a few cards to play still like it's Business server services. Heck our president is using a blackberry. (which oddly enough is a Canadian designed product)

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
With WebOS being open source, maybe RIM will jump on that?! LOL!!

BBOS/server products can't be open sources for security reasons... or some time after RIM is dead and buried and nobody is actually using their devices anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.