Android Just Overtook Apple iOS and BlackBerry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_the_great

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Lets look at the profit break down does since $$$ matters...

Apple and RIM get the $$ from 27 % of market share , while the 29% market share is distributed among more then 5 or (more if you count the tablets ) companies. So at the most, the individual companies will benefit from < 5%of the market share.

zak_the_great

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Raid3r[/nom]haha..why.... Because competition matters.[/citation]

true but what really happened was... People love to us smart phones and they waited and waited and waited none were there until one day some company came out with a new invention .....Smart Phone... and the rest of the competition woke up !!!!!! and wow after help from third company ( copycat OS) they could finally make copy cat products... The same goes for tablets.....

G

you can argue all you like, Android is installed on anything they can get a deal with, that's why it has the numbers, I have used all the operating systems on the phones, and the only one i find that works the best (speed, uptime, battery life, interface, ect) is the iphone, Android is getting there but seriously is it the hardware they are installing it on or just the software letting them down?, when it comes to ease of use for our clients and making a phone bullet proof so they don't get issues and ring us every 5 minutes because they changed an option they shouldn't have we go with iphone, Sure we use a mix of RIM, Nokia, Samsung, Sony, Apple and HTC but we have found the Apple iphone to be the higher choice, only problem is the price, so it's not available for everyone :(

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Oh well...looks like Apple is going to get 'pwned' by Google in the smartphone market. Give it time. At least they (Apple) still have iTunes.

Saitzev

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
[citation][nom]shady28[/nom]I don't want to be an apologist for iOS, but I don't trust the numbers above. In past analysis like this, the numbers have counted all android devices vs only iPhones. That's nutty; there are 15 million iPads out, and far more iPod Touch devices. To support this, consider: The iTunes App store brought in 1.7+ billion in 2010, vs the android store's $110 million. In other words, iOS app store is almost 20x larger (in dollar revenue) than the Android App store.The balance isn't tipping quite as fast as some would like everyone to believe.[/citation]

Uh yeah that's because not everyone in the Android Market is out to make money, unlike the App Store. There is way more free apps out there because people do in fact like giving back. Hell that's why donations exist.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
If you look at the bigger picture this data backs up the notion that people prefer open-source software that can be spread across multiple manufacturers that offer more choices, options, price points, flexibility over a proprietary, closed-system, with lack of uniqueness. Its the same reason Microsoft Windows is on %95 of computers and Apple on %5.

Another note is that Apple has had since a huge success as being the number one handset designer since the original iPhone for at least 5 years its remarkable that it has trumped the iPhone in just 2 years.

Opinion is opinion but you can't argue the facts and the fact is Android as a software has had more success in shorter time than Apple with its iOS+proprietary hardware. Whereas Apple and its not-so-tech-savvy customer base is full of hot air, Google and its Android software let the facts speak for themselves. Apple will be dwindled down back to its niche market where it belongs as like its other devices and Android will continue its run away success.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Just look at the fragmentation on Android. How many companies actually sell phones with this OS, and none of them can take BlackBerry and Apple by themselves. If you look at the stats Apple and RIM still are on the top and then HTC and Motorola follow with almost half phones sold.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]User69[/nom]If you look at the bigger picture this data backs up the notion that people prefer open-source software that can be spread across multiple manufacturers that offer more choices, options, price points, flexibility over a proprietary, closed-system, with lack of uniqueness.[/citation]

Cut the crap. The average consumer (which accounts for 90% of sales of smartphones) has no idea what open source is. They bought their phone because they liked how it looked, what features it had or what kind of promotion the provider was giving for them.

Android is only successful because it has numerous companies making a wide variety of phones at different price points and making them available on multiple carriers. It has nothing to do with Android being "superior" or iOS being "inferior".

Apple only makes one phone - a high-end expensive phone. And they have been able to sell as many (27% vs 29%) of HIGH END phones as Android has been able to sell of ALL their phones, high end or not. That makes Apple's accomplishment far more impressive.

G

Another win for Linux in general. Linux has majority marketshare in:

Supercomputers
Web servers
Custom Router Firmware (DD-WRT, etc...)

and now smartphones. Next stop: The desktop.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
This news is about OS system market share used on phones. The phones themselves are hardware, they vary in capability, capacity and speed. The applications are what we use on them. The OS underlies those applications. For me, typical applications is mostly voice, some voice mail, some text. I've used the gps successfully. I have used a free bar code reader app to my great benefit; instant comparison of prices around the different stores. My usage is not typical. The breadth of things that can be done on a handheld device now rival what the majority of us do on a desktop machine today. It truly is a computer in my pocket, phone, wifi to my home network, or any public one for that matter and can store anything that will fit on the storage devices (phone and plug in). Movies, pictures, instruction manuals, notepad. Everything a PDA, a tablet and a phone did and more.

the OS that runs those devices are Android coming from behind to get in front of the previous market leaders says something about the stability, speed, tools and ease of customization of that underlying OS.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
As someone who has owned an HTC Hero, I can't possibly imagine why.. I think the Android OS is great but HTC is crap - unless of course getting phone calls (and or having your device respond in less than 10s to a command isn't important to you).

After that experience with HTC I am more than happy to have a BlackBerry.

G

I think the comment made about "open source" winning... was not about the users choosing open source versus closed systems. Most typical users don't recognize these differences and, to some degree, don't care.

However, "open source" does win the hearts and minds and R&D machines of manufacturers so, as a result of these varying options, it ultimately helps open source systems to win over closed systems.

Think Microsoft SQL, for instance. It's powerful. It's very capable. However, it costs money. No person in the world is going to avoid a website that runs MSSQL or is going to only visit websites that run mySQL. If anything, most people don't recognize these differences. However, the website OWNERS certainly see the difference, when it comes to cost... ability to customize... etc, etc... So, ultimately, these cheaper more customizable features win over developers and manufacturers. This, in turn, results in more consumers using these services by proxy.

So, with phones, not everyone wants to buy the same piece of hardware everyone else is using. Not everyone wants to drive the exact same car as everyone else. Not everyone wants to wear exactly the same clothes as everyone else. So, no matter how "perfect" a particular car is... or a particular set of clothing is... or a piece of hardware is... no single car, set of clothes, or piece of hardware is going to dominate a market 100%.

Given this, an operating system that can run on multiple diverse pieces of hardware is simply going to win in numbers.

If Apple allowed iOS to run on other pieces of hardware with little or no fees, it would likely win a much much larger share than it has. It may even dominate. However, Apple isn't in the business to help other hardware manufacturers... they're in it to help themselves. Google, on the other hand, doesn't make the hardware... so they're in the business to help hardware manufacturers. This helps all other hardware manufacturers trust and follow Google's lead, except for those who are still sticking to their own proprietary OSes.

This general fact helps cement Android as the most dominant OS in smart phones for now and the future. The same will eventually be the case for tablet computing devices... televisions... car computer systems... DVRs... etc, etc, etc... It may take 5 years or 10 years or 15 years for this to be eventually realized, but it will happen.

The only thing that could change this course is a new open source OS that can run on diverse hardware for little or no cost which innovates faster than Android.

If that came to fruition, we'd all (as consumers) still win.

G

good job android. Kick apple's ass. haha. I laugh at you steve jobs!!

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I think this is the USA market...World is little bit different
Also one should define "Smart Phone"
a lie, a bigger lie, the biggest lie, statistics...

im_caius

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Symbian OS only has 2%...?
I find that hard to believe, because technically S60v3 is still a Symbian Smartphone.
E series phones (e63, e71, e72) are very popular and they are running this OS.
I think something is wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.