Android Just Overtook Apple iOS and BlackBerry

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]User69[/nom]If you look at the bigger picture this data backs up the notion that people prefer open-source software that can be spread across multiple manufacturers that offer more choices, options, price points, flexibility over a proprietary, closed-system, with lack of uniqueness. Its the same reason Microsoft Windows is on %95 of computers and Apple on %5.[/citation]I don't know if anyone told you this, but Windows is NOT open-source, it's a proprietary OS.

dargon_supreme

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
That comparison is unfair, you are comparing proprietary OS to free OS that everybody can use. And Android is killing smartphone OS development, because companies prefer to use it instead of developing it´s own solution (of course, it´s cheaper), so there will be no options in the future. I prefer to pay for options, I want to make choices, I don´t want to be forced to use something because it's free. So go RIM, go Apple, go Microsoft and everybody that can make a good OS and a good smartphone.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]dargon_supreme[/nom]That comparison is unfair, you are comparing proprietary OS to free OS that everybody can use. And Android is killing smartphone OS development, because companies prefer to use it instead of developing it´s own solution (of course, it´s cheaper), so there will be no options in the future. I prefer to pay for options, I want to make choices, I don´t want to be forced to use something because it's free. So go RIM, go Apple, go Microsoft and everybody that can make a good OS and a good smartphone.[/citation]

Who's fault is it that you can't license the other O/S's? It's sure not Google's bad.

Go Android!

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Would be interesting to see the break down of each android version among manufactures. TBH it is impressive that the iOS and Blackberry OS is down to so few devices running each OS. TBH its not androids fault that its accross many manufactures considering windows mobile 7 is still relatively new and not fully featured. Actually, I've yet to see someone using a windows mobile 7 phone out in public! Also would you really want blackberry OS or symbian used on every device? Both can't hold a candle to android even tho it is heavily fragmented. Microsoft promises so much and looks/sounds good but it still has alot of catching up to do. Thats why Android updates so readily, it too had to catch iOS feature wise. I wouldn't get a win7 phone till it gets more of the features Android and iOS offer, plus fully establishes a marketplace. Xbox stuff is fantastic tho I don't own one so isn't a selling point for me.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]shady28[/nom]I don't want to be an apologist for iOS, but I don't trust the numbers above. In past analysis like this, the numbers have counted all android devices vs only iPhones. That's nutty; there are 15 million iPads out, and far more iPod Touch devices. To support this, consider: The iTunes App store brought in 1.7+ billion in 2010, vs the android store's $110 million. In other words, iOS app store is almost 20x larger (in dollar revenue) than the Android App store.The balance isn't tipping quite as fast as some would like everyone to believe.[/citation]
The revenue generated by their respective App stores means nothing.
For Apple you have nowhere else to go, if you don't use their App store you don't get anything - period.
Android don't tie you down to them as a sole provider and you are free to get your Android apps, free or otherwise, anywhere you want.
Google has already proved with its search engine that the real money doesn't lie in the product but in the ad revenue, so when it eventually dominates the smartphone arena because people like cheap or free apps, Apple will still try to chase the expensive boutique dollar because it just doesn't know any other way to run a business.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]vvhocare5[/nom]Thats not a pie chart - its more like a candy bar chart.... fig newton chart....?[/citation]
mmmmmm..... "fig newtons"... mmmmmmmmmm

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Made my wife get an Atrix this weekend, instead of what? Apple iPhone 4. Read that Apple. She wanted the iPhone 4. But I said no, they don't need our money.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Android has lost my support as I become more and more aware of Google's watchful eye.[/citation]

What, and you don't think Apple is the same way? First, why don't you read about how Apple keeps a watchful eye on its employees. Then why don't you read about how, due to privacy concerns, Congress requested information from Apple about how it collects location-based data from its users. Apple is either planning, or has already implemented a change to its privacy policy that will track users location via GPS to use in direct link with their iAd service.

Many (if not most) of large companies are doing this -- Google isn't the only one. I'm not saying I agree with all of what these companies do, but you are naive if you think Google is the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.