Android Mirror Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hello everyone,
I just get the new Samsung S5 and in the overfall of the day I didn't have too much time to update it and make a proper backup of my old smarthphone, the Samsung S4 (yeah, I'm kind of fan of Samsung toys).

Anyway, the thing is I downloaded this Samsung app called "Smart Switch" that allows you to transfer the whole data from your old phone to the new one. But, as usual, not everything is copied.
By everything I mean apps from Google Play Store, WhatsApp history chats, media, download files (Chrome), and other random stuff from apps that I've been using for about a year more or less.

So, why there isn't an app or software that allows you to make a REAL BACKUP of your phone? Why, in the XXI century, this little computers that takes better pictures than profesional cameras; talk with us like real people telling forecast and traffic reports; and drive cars better than human, doesn't have a really simple software that makes a mirror backup and transfer your whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooole data and settings to your new phone? I mean, I didn't buy an iPhone! I bought a Samsung! With Android! Same brand! Same OS! Same developers, same provider, same dkgjhsfkjhsadfkjshf!

Someone? Please, save me from this suffering.

PS: I'm talking about not-needed-root software, because "Nandroid Backup" creates a mirror image of the ROM and that way, of course, even widgets are copied. But I don't want to lose the guaranty, at least not today.

Thank you all!

Solution
You can't mirror a large amount of stuff on the phone, largely stuff in the data partition. Why? Because different ROMs use different layouts in there, and mirroring would break stuff as much as if you tried to copy the whole user folder from XP to 7.

The issue is that if you take a mirror of the SD card contents (which is about the only thing Titanium excludes, minus the ROM and ROM-specific stuff), where do you put the backup?

herrwizo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

Wrong, wrong and wrong. :D

The same exact reason why no app is perfect, and you have to find your own solution for every single thing on this planet. There is no such thing as universal solution to anything: the only thing that performs a true backup of everything is nandroid backup via CWM or TWRP. Titanium Backup is also great, but you need to have root for best results.

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

What's wrong? I missed the point.

I don't think backups are new stuff or "universal solution", I'm not asking to reinvent the gunpowder or to make an abortion without killing the kid, I'm asking for an app to make mirror backups, quite simple as that.

Besides, how many times we change our mobile per year? I don't keep a phone more than 8 months average.

You can't mirror a large amount of stuff on the phone, largely stuff in the data partition. Why? Because different ROMs use different layouts in there, and mirroring would break stuff as much as if you tried to copy the whole user folder from XP to 7.

The issue is that if you take a mirror of the SD card contents (which is about the only thing Titanium excludes, minus the ROM and ROM-specific stuff), where do you put the backup?

Solution

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Good point. Great reply. My limited mind couldn't understand it =P But reading your post makes me understand it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.