Android PC ???

jsek89

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I have been searching this site as well as others for days now, I have asked multiple people and still no answers...

Would it be possible to rig up a home-built mini computer that could utilize Android phone hardware?

You look at some netbooks and last-gen laptops (e.g. my old Gateway MX-6959 ~ 1.66GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, Integrated Graphics) and compare it to something like my current Android phone (HTC Amaze 4G ~ 1.5GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, Adreno 220 Graphics)...this specs are quite similar.

If I were to build a small PC case that could house some cooling, I think I could easily root the Amaze to push ~1.8GHz or more and keep stable temps.

It might not seem that powerful for a PC, but considering I could still use the Android OS and play games like Modern Combat 3, N.O.V.A. 3, Any of the Emulators for Android, etc, I think the system would be an interesting little gaming machine.

What all would be entailed? Is it even possible to accomplish? If it isn't yet possible, what are the constraints???

any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'd use a tablet for this not a phone. Many have docks now anyway and can be used more or less like a regular PC. So pretty much your work is already finished, tablet, android OS, dock.

Doing this with a phone will be a lot of work, you will have to custom make a USB or another interface for a mouse and keyboard. Maybe a bluetooth one would work.

jsek89

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I was going to go with the bluetooth route. I have found Keyboard/Mouse Touchpad combo via bluetooth and a game controller that is bluetooth as well. I don't have a tablet though, I have an Amaze 4G...and as soon as I get another phone, I was thinking of either attempting this with the 4G internals or the ODROID-X system I found online (Samsung Exynos 1.4GHz quad-core cpu, Mali-400 graphics, and 1GB RAM) then overclock the one I install to ~1.8GHz +/- and use an 80mm fan setup to keep it cooler for OCed stability. I definitely want it to run the higher-end Android games with relative ease (Gameloft HD games and emulators).

My vision would be something that you could connect to a TV or display via HDMI, bluetooth the game controller or kayboard/mouse combo, turn on the WiFi and dive right into Modern Combat or something like that but on a big-screen.