Solved! Android Phone Stops Charging When Tethered

Status
Not open for further replies.

KroolYouTube

Estimable
Jul 26, 2016
Hey guys, I have satellite internet at my house which makes it difficult to play games like Fortnite. I used to tether my phone via USB just fine, which let me play games at 100 ping or less. I go to tether my phone today and all of a sudden for some reason my phone will charge when connected, but as soon as I turn on tethering it stops charging and won't recognize the network.

Can anyone help?

Solution
It is possible there was an update to the phone or even a change with your provider that makes it impossible to tether now. Did you check the settings in the phone for tethering? Also did you check when the last update showing in the settings? It should show you when it was last updated.
Try disconnecting the phone from the laptop (assuming it is a laptop) and restart (just turn it off and back on) the phone. If that doesn't let it connect again, have you tried connecting to the phone wirelessly instead of through a USB?

1. Go into "Settings" and in the "Wireless & networks" section tap "More".
2. Now tap "Tethering & portable hotspot".
3. For "Wireless Tethering" tap "Set up WiFi hotspot"
4. On this new screen you will see options for a "Network Name", "Security", "Password" and "Network Band". You can change them or keep them as is. It is really up to you.
5. Now you would just need to search for the hotspot by name using the second device.

NOTE: While a WiFi hotspot feature is built into Android, some service providers/carriers, especially in the United States, hide it. You would then need to see if you can locate an app that you can install to help with this.

KroolYouTube

Estimable
Jul 26, 2016
I am not running a laptop, I am running a desktop. I used to have a laptop but the motherboard fried so I set up a dualboot setup on my fathers pc. I do not see any wireless setup settings besides the hotspot, which cant be read through the desktop. So the only way to use mobile data for gaming is through the USB. I'll try restarting etc once my phone is charged again.

It is possible there was an update to the phone or even a change with your provider that makes it impossible to tether now. Did you check the settings in the phone for tethering? Also did you check when the last update showing in the settings? It should show you when it was last updated.

Solution
Sep 4, 2018
Same thing just started happening to me. Phone on wifi tethered to desktop, it worked yesterday, just stopped working. Its not a network controller problem because i just updated that. Moto g4, no clue whats causing this. Did you get an answer op?

Oct 6, 2018
Same thing happened to me but I'm tethering WiFi from a motorla g4 plus that I can't turn off the power button is gone. But there was no update my other cell tethers just fine... Gotta reboot one of them I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.