Android Tablets Will Overtake iPad by 2015, Say Analysts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

obsama1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Just like the smartphone market. iPhone dominated, but then iOS got dominated by Android. Over 50% for Android, but it took a few years. The tablet market will be an exact replica of what has already happened. People will realize that function > form.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]Just like the smartphone market. iPhone dominated, but then iOS got dominated by Android. Over 50% for Android, but it took a few years. The tablet market will be an exact replica of what has already happened. People will realize that function > form.[/citation]

When did the iPhone ever dominate the smartphone market? They are slowly growing all the time and reaching a new "best" with each quarter. You make it sound like they were once mighty and have since fallen.

G

Those of you who don't believe W8 will significantly impact the market have no since of history and I predict they will impact Android much more so than iOS as apple owners are much more loyal than Android users. When they basically but a high performance Ultrabook in a table form there won't be any reason to buy an Android.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]slomjh2[/nom]Those of you who don't believe W8 will significantly impact the market have no since of history and I predict they will impact Android much more so than iOS as apple owners are much more loyal than Android users. When they basically but a high performance Ultrabook in a table form there won't be any reason to buy an Android.[/citation]

That is irrelevant! Remember that there still is a majority worldwide that doesn't own even a smartphone.

The interesting thing is what these prospective buyers will choose for both the phone and the tablet.
Since android is already outselling iphones by a wide margin and have a lot of models in the cheaper segments, it is much more probable that a new owner of that android smartphone also buys an android tablett, since that person already is using all google services and android apps.

G

So for the analysis an $2 will get you a coffee at Starbucks. Worth less than the coffee IMO.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]When did the iPhone ever dominate the smartphone market? They are slowly growing all the time and reaching a new "best" with each quarter. You make it sound like they were once mighty and have since fallen.[/citation]

iPhone completely dominated the Smart Phone market. Android came out and was really diverse on the device types and was on all the carriers and grew that way. iPhone was only on AT&T at the time. Even as of today the iPhone is dominating the smart phone market. It made up 50% of smart phone sales at Verizon. There has not been a single Android phone that has outsold it to date. Android has the advantage when you add all the phones together not via a single device. So Apple can report record growth because they are now on almost all carriers in the US as well as adding new carriers world wide. That tends to improve sales and has done just that.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Comparing Android and Ipad isn't really fair. Ipad is a specific product being produced by one company. Android is an operating system working on several different products by several different companies. Even if Android takes over the market share for tablets it doesn't really matter, what people should be looking at is each company and their share of the tablet market. That's, you know, how people normally look at markets. Market control is usually mentioned when looking into issues of monopolization. Apple can monopolize an industry and have anti-trust stuff brought on them, because they are a company. Android can not because it is a platform. If every product was android based there wouldn't be an issue of monopolization because it is free and open and there are several companies which use Android.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]^To add to that, my 4 year old has mastered my iPad touch and is pretty good with my Windows Phone, but she has a hard time with my Prime.[/citation]
My 4 year old has mastered my Galaxy Tab without me helping out. And that including stuff like changing brightness, mute or autorotate mode.

Oh, and I don't have another tablet to compare with, dear suspicious mister with tablets from 3 vendors.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]iPhone completely dominated the Smart Phone market. Android came out and was really diverse on the device types and was on all the carriers and grew that way. iPhone was only on AT&T at the time. Even as of today the iPhone is dominating the smart phone market. It made up 50% of smart phone sales at Verizon. There has not been a single Android phone that has outsold it to date. Android has the advantage when you add all the phones together not via a single device. So Apple can report record growth because they are now on almost all carriers in the US as well as adding new carriers world wide. That tends to improve sales and has done just that.[/citation]
It will be very hard for a single Android phone to overtake the iPhone because of the sheer number of alternatives available. There are a large number of manufacturers and each manufacturer has a large number of phones. Just to put things in perspective, the most used android phone is the Galaxy S2 and that represents just 11% of the top 20 most used android phones. For a single Android phone to surpass the iPhone, the iPhone market share must drop dramatically.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I wouldn't trust such reports... Lets look at the LAST tablet market forecasts... as I recall, right about NOW.... Android has 70% of the tablet market.... not even close.

And if you take out the e-books that used android (Amazon / B&N's Nook) as perhaps the cheap $100~125 junk ones that you see at Walgreens... I'm betting Bestbuy and others will still be referring to them as "iPads and Tablets".

Where are the Windows8 tablets? They should be hitting the market late 2012...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I think the Win8 tablets will be a real threat to ios and android, is MS manage to get the software done right intel already have the platform for it with the new x86 effichient atoms... Sorry to say this but i hard time to see ios and android match the software library of the windows platform!

So my prediction is that the red bar by 2016 will be way way bigger than that forecast, not likely to be marketleader in that short time but if they play the cards right with the software i think they will in time.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]My 4 year old has mastered my Galaxy Tab without me helping out. And that including stuff like changing brightness, mute or autorotate mode.Oh, and I don't have another tablet to compare with, dear suspicious mister with tablets from 3 vendors.[/citation]

He cites an iPod, a phone, and a tablet. That isn't tablets from 3 vendors, and hardly suspicious.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]It will be very hard for a single Android phone to overtake the iPhone because of the sheer number of alternatives available. There are a large number of manufacturers and each manufacturer has a large number of phones. Just to put things in perspective, the most used android phone is the Galaxy S2 and that represents just 11% of the top 20 most used android phones. For a single Android phone to surpass the iPhone, the iPhone market share must drop dramatically.[/citation]

Exactly, all the Android phones are struggling to differentiate themselves.

They find themselves in exactly the same market as the iPhone, which also has to compete with the 'sheer number of alternatives available', just as the Android phones do.

The iPhone just manages to do it better by having a clear differentiation and selling point, as evidenced by its record sales figures - in other words, it's a more compelling product.

Android is a double edged sword for manufacturers - it means they are directly compared to all the other 'me too' companies who offer the same operating system, so have to compete on price and so reduce their margins. Apple is able to bring more to the table having been innovative enough to develop their own OS.

That being said, Apple also leads, in my view, both the phone and tablet markets from a hardware standpoint, not only looking at benchmarks but also going on the 'feel' of the system. I think if Apple didn't lead all the metrics for reliability, user satisfaction, battery life, software support, number and quality of apps - it wouldn't necessarily have the lead it has today.

So I guess their success is a combination of developing arguably the best and most robust hardware, whilst having an excellent differentiator in the form of their app store and and OS which is tightly integrated.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I have used W8CP for a while now, and I am certain its UI is genuinely superior to android (which is a blatant copy of iOS). Beside another thing which is going for Windows is GPU acceleration to give more smoother experience, i.e. where android suffer as it stutters/slows down even on multi-core devices due to CPU+GPU rendering.

I think what MS needs to do is to polish the OS's performance a bit more, and ensure that MS Office (supporting the new UI) be out with it as well, get forget about numbers just get as many quality apps in the store as they can (which shouldn't be a problem) if they can pull this off, I don't see the need to bother with countless below par android tablets. Ultimately it will judged and pitted against iOS and if it can compete that, things may look different in a 1 1/2 year from now.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Lol, the Android UI is a blatant copy of iOS? Really, which bits are copied? Maybe the notification bar? umm nope. The icons? Pretty sure icons have been around for a long time before iOS. Widgets maybe? umm nope

Good Android tablets are good, like the prime etc, the cheap no name ones are in my experience, crap.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]I wouldn't trust such reports... Lets look at the LAST tablet market forecasts... as I recall, right about NOW.... Android has 70% of the tablet market.... not even close...[/citation]
Uhm, what?
If anything, forecasts were more pessimistic.
In 4Q11 Apple was supposed to be at 64% of the market share, when actual number is 54,7%.

Android might have 70% of the smartphone market though, with Apple having about 18%.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]He cites an iPod, a phone, and a tablet. That isn't tablets from 3 vendors, and hardly suspicious.[/citation]
He cites "iPad touch", you could say he meant ipod touch, but earlier he talks about iPads qualities.
Then he goes on how bad his Prime is. Last time I checked, Prime was Asus' product..

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]My 4 year old has mastered my Galaxy Tab without me helping out. And that including stuff like changing brightness, mute or autorotate mode.Oh, and I don't have another tablet to compare with, dear suspicious mister with tablets from 3 vendors.[/citation]Well good for him.
Plus if you read, I don't have three tablets. I have a Prime TF-201, an iPod, and a Windows phone. The only reason i keep the iPod is because my little girls loves it. I hate the thing. There are so many more good kid's apps for iOS. I love my Windows phone. If they existed, I would have a W8 tab instead of a Prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.