Android Tablets Will Overtake iPad by 2015, Say Analysts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]He cites "iPad touch", you could say he meant ipod touch, but earlier he talks about iPads qualities.Then he goes on how bad his Prime is. Last time I checked, Prime was Asus' product..[/citation]The following post corrected the iPad touch typo. I never said my Prime is bad. It's just not a good kid's device like the iPod. You're reading comprehension needs some work.

G

Here are the facts: Microsoft put the last nail in the coffin with the horrible, irritating and frustrating Windows 8. So no Windows tablet for me.
I hate Apple and anything to do with Apple, so iShit and company is never a consideration.
That leaves Android, so I hope Google will improve it and fine-tune it as it is our last logical resort, and I do see Android kicking Apple's arse big time.
As for my desktops and laptops..... I am waiting for Windows 7 SP2. Hope it comes out soon, if Microsoft is still in business, as Windows 8 is going to ruin them.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Exactly, all the Android phones are struggling to differentiate themselves.They find themselves in exactly the same market as the iPhone, which also has to compete with the 'sheer number of alternatives available', just as the Android phones do.The iPhone just manages to do it better by having a clear differentiation and selling point, as evidenced by its record sales figures - in other words, it's a more compelling product.Android is a double edged sword for manufacturers - it means they are directly compared to all the other 'me too' companies who offer the same operating system, so have to compete on price and so reduce their margins. Apple is able to bring more to the table having been innovative enough to develop their own OS. That being said, Apple also leads, in my view, both the phone and tablet markets from a hardware standpoint, not only looking at benchmarks but also going on the 'feel' of the system. I think if Apple didn't lead all the metrics for reliability, user satisfaction, battery life, software support, number and quality of apps - it wouldn't necessarily have the lead it has today. So I guess their success is a combination of developing arguably the best and most robust hardware, whilst having an excellent differentiator in the form of their app store and and OS which is tightly integrated.[/citation[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Exactly, all the Android phones are struggling to differentiate themselves.They find themselves in exactly the same market as the iPhone, which also has to compete with the 'sheer number of alternatives available', just as the Android phones do.The iPhone just manages to do it better by having a clear differentiation and selling point, as evidenced by its record sales figures - in other words, it's a more compelling product.Android is a double edged sword for manufacturers - it means they are directly compared to all the other 'me too' companies who offer the same operating system, so have to compete on price and so reduce their margins. Apple is able to bring more to the table having been innovative enough to develop their own OS. That being said, Apple also leads, in my view, both the phone and tablet markets from a hardware standpoint, not only looking at benchmarks but also going on the 'feel' of the system. I think if Apple didn't lead all the metrics for reliability, user satisfaction, battery life, software support, number and quality of apps - it wouldn't necessarily have the lead it has today. So I guess their success is a combination of developing arguably the best and most robust hardware, whilst having an excellent differentiator in the form of their app store and and OS which is tightly integrated.[/citation]

LOL, it is a sad day when Apple fans have nothing better to do then to Troll a PC Hardware site. I guess the Apple tech websites have nothing interesting on them. What a waist of breath and life watcha is.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]LOL, it is a sad day when Apple fans have nothing better to do then to Troll a PC Hardware site.. What a waist of breath and life watcha is.[/citation]
Learn how to edit down a quite... like anyone read the whole thing? And because you're just making a fan-boy statement, no quote was required.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Uhm, what?If anything, forecasts were more pessimistic. In 4Q11 Apple was supposed to be at 64% of the market share, when actual number is 54,7%.Android might have 70% of the smartphone market though, with Apple having about 18%.[/citation]
A tablet forecast from last summer, with the new Samsung and other tablets hitting the market, the "experts" said Android would have the market by spring 2012. I cannot find that article at this time. Even back then, I thought it was quite silly.

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
first, i don't even know anyone who even thought about buying a tablet, let alone own one. i guess whoever can come up with a way to market these devices to those who don't have any use for them may be ahead of the game.

second, i would not personally buy a tablet device until they have some advancements over a less than hundred dollar ipod that you can buy on craigslist. why am i going to fork out close to a thousand bucks for a device whose only benefit over a two hundred dollar desktop is its portability? so where is my developers app so i can compile and test code written on the tablet for the tablet? when are they going to be easily upgradable (i don't see why i need to spend another thousand bucks on the 'new' one when i can spend a hundred bucks in parts to install)? what about the other 'basics' of any functional mobile device like rf for fm+am radio, uhf+vhf for television, ham and other freq scanners, gyroscopic compasses, etc.. etc.. etc..

unless you're into trading stocks, who really cares which company has the most marketshare if none of them are providing any bang for the buck at all, no competitive reason to replace a laptop, and ignoring basic features for functionality?

Status
Not open for further replies.