Question Android update Vs. Security patches?

MandelaEffect2000

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
Hey,

I'm confused about how Android actually works when it comes to security on smartphones.

For example, the Samsung Galaxy S22 ships with Android 12 and Samsung says it will receive Android updates up until Android 16. But the company also states this smartphone will receive security patches for the next 5 years too.

So what is the difference between Android update versions and security patches offered by the manufacturer of a smartphone?

Also, does newer Android update versions matter that much in terms of usability overall on a smartphone?

Thanks!

MandelaEffect2000

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
android update is for the app. security is for preventing hack

You mean depending on the Android OS version, I will or will not be able to install newer versions of applications? Is that it?

So if Android OS updates is one thing and security updates is another, then it means receiving newer versions of Android won't help preventing future malware attacks?

MandelaEffect2000

Honorable
Apr 6, 2017
So just to make sure I got this right: security patches (not Android OS updates) are always provided only by the smartphone manufacturers (Samsung, Motorola, etc) or can they be offered by a chipset maker like Qualcomm and MediaTek too?