Android v3.0 Will Require 1 GHz Minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
looks like I'll be waiting for moorsetown to come out for the next phone which will likely be an android.. loving my palm pre but being bought out by HP i am uncertain if they will release more phones or just move the webos to tablet and netbook mark >_

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rantsky[/nom]They gotta be kidding, right? I mean, Apple managed to get their interface running on 3 year old hardware.[/citation]

i think googles' goal is to go beyond what the iphone is, and that requires a bit of hardware.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Wow, I wonder what drives those specs. I mean, to make 1 GHz a minimum requirement indicates that there maybe a lot going on in that Android. Still, I wonder why they didn't opt to scale the system according to available hardware.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rantsky[/nom]They gotta be kidding, right? I mean, Apple managed to get their interface running on 3 year old hardware.[/citation]

Has it occurred to you that maybe Google isn't content with a simple and rather dull (although admittedly also easy to use and somewhat efficient) interface that brings nothing new to the table? Phones are becoming mobile powerhouses that have to be everything at once in a pocket-sized format. It's only normal mobile OS'es facilitate that, even if it means pushing hardware to its limits.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
LoL @ rantsky. Apple couldn't even get backgrounds working on that old hardware. All the good stuff in iOS4 only works on the iPhone 4G which, believe it or not, has the specs to support Android 3.0.

True, Win7 works on more hardware than Vista, but that WAS an efficiency issue with Vista code. XP wouldn't run on most of the hardware that supported Win 98, but I think the world of Windows was better for it in the end. Just as I believe the world of Android will also be better.

Besides, my G1 is still running 1.6, so I don't have a problem with newer phones not being able to run 3.0. Google abandoned its first child long ago, and many more will be left at the wayside. Plus, this looks good for upgrade options when my contract expires early next year.

I DON'T agree that killing off Motorolla Blur or HTC Sense is a good thing. Sure, my Google-Experience UI on my G1 sucks compared to even LG's offerings, and could really use an overhaul, but I don't think Google should be the ultimate decider in what the UI is. I like the idea that Motorolla and HTC can slap a cool UI on top, not to say a cool Google UI wouldn't also be nice.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
When 2.2 makes it to all the current handsets we can start worrying about 3.0. Does it worry anyone else that only the Nexus has a 2.2 release, and even *upcoming phones* from Motorola and Samsung aren't going to have it when they hit the streets? Can you say "fragmentation hell"? Android was fun while it lasted, but unless Google, the manufacturers, and the carriers start playing the same game it's going to die a swift death at the hands of Apple and other proprietary handset makers.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I'm expecting the 3.0 Android to be when I finally upgrade my iPhone 3G. I'm eager to embrace Android but not without a feature for feature upgrade and good interface experience. So I'm holding out for 3.0 and glad to hear the hardware requirements will be raised up.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
They need to slow things down here. v2.2 is just coming out, and they're already announcing something new that won't run on current phones? I want to buy an Android phone, I really do, but I just don't feel comfortable doing so knowing that it'll be considered obsolete in 3 months time.

G

I am not an Apple fan but I got to admit that they got a well thought support.. 3 Years down the road and there were still updates for older devices.. It's time that manufacturers stop this old clisse of making a new phone for every new update available, with devices that are few months old being excluded of new updates as not advertised as devices.. Especially when it comes to Android and especially when the update, say Froyo ie, optimizes performance, the way it should have been..

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I can see the usefulness of this idea if they continue to update the 2.x path as well. That would give consumers even MORE choices, a 3.x OS for 4" screen HDMI-out media phones and a 2.x OS for phones that don't require car-size batteries to last a day. Maybe features like HD Hulu would require 3.x software and hardware, but 2.x OS users could still get updates to Google Maps/Docs/etc...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]LoL @ rantsky. Apple couldn't even get backgrounds working on that old hardware. All the good stuff in iOS4 only works on the iPhone 4G which, believe it or not, has the specs to support Android 3.0.[/citation]

Actually the iPhone 4 has a 800MHz processor (WAS rumored to be 1GHz), so even IT doesn't meet the minimum specifications.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
There are two issues here.

1) Is that bad that google try to push its future OS better by including more hardware intensive functions specially the hardware requirement is current available?

No, it is not bad and I am glade that Google is trying to make android even better (well.. as long as the high requirement is not due to poor coding).

2) A funny obersvation... though it may be still early to make any conclusion... it appears to me that people here (maybe including me) tend to be friendlier on Android than iOS on the similar issue..;) Though it is very understandable.... but still funny to see...;)

by the way... just like Kartu said... this is still not offical yet... so... while it is fun to play with rumors... it maybe too early to dance with them.. yet...:p

my .02

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I think it is bull crap. I bought a phone with 2.1 that will never get 2.2. CDMA Hero. Its the only android that Alltel sells.

G

Joebob I read your post and I am not sure you know what your talking about. Have you ever used a blackberry?

Status
Not open for further replies.