Android's Andy Rubin Slaps Down Apple's New Siri

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]Sorry but... some people was mislead.It's not the first time I hear something like this... but Siri wasn't the first of this kind.Google have massively investing in voice system called "Google Market".It's do the same and better than Siri, one year before Siri come out.So Apple didn't invent anything there. Please.At this point it's just marketing.It's sure technicly... you should speak to someone human but talk to a phone bring curiosity. Apple follow by army of fanbois have everything for make Siri a success.The success of Siri is based on fanbois and new fanbois wannabe.[/citation]

Oh come on.... And just where exactly is this Google market thing? Can anybody use it? Will you droid-heads ever get over being second yet again? What came first, the iPhone or Android? Answer: iPhone. There is a web site that shows what the android prototype looked like before the iPhone, it looked like a blackberry. Copy copy copy. Yes, Android will have a "real" AI assistant soon enough. And yet again be second. Come to terms with it. It'll lower your blood pressure.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]dotray[/nom]I agree Rubin's comments were not well thought through. However, while voice control isn't part of native Android releases, many phones have had voice control integrated for ages. The only innovation with siri is the marketing. The only world first with Siri is giving the voice control feature a marketable name before anyone else did.[/citation]
Previous voice recognition software for phones has allowed for dictation, not the ability to control the phone itself. What makes SIRI so cool is that it is an OS interface, not just a text input option. I HATE apple, but I love this feature so much that I have found myself considering one (but I am momentarily poor so WP7 and Android have time to catch up). I would love for my phone to take more of a proactive assistant role rather than just a 1/2 useful e-mail and web browsing device. they are almost there, I cant wait!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]LOL, it's now 'douchbaggery' for a technology to invest in technology companies?Riiiiight.To the rest of the world, it's just logical business sense.[/citation]
You are correct of course, technology is not the basis of douchbaggery, people are
Thank you for pointing that out to everyone

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]1 - Siri removes the need to look at the screen whilst driving, much like hands-free sets, which have been shown to massively increase safety. People will try to text when they're driving regardless, this gives them a better way to do that. Just like you can talk to people in your car whilst driving. Do you want to ban that too?.[/citation]

Actually, 99% of people are better drivers when they are only focusing on the road. Doesn't matter whats legal or not, focusing on the road does increase safety.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]videobear[/nom]"Worked well"? I think not. My Android voice command feature is laughable. After hearing the Head Droid say something as stupid as this, I'm seriously thinking of trading in my Droid smartphone for an Apple product that might possibly understand it when I talk to it.And yes, I do want a cybernetic assistant, one I don't need a thick manual for and don't need to push ten tiny buttons to get it to do what I want. I want the Enterprise's computer...in my hand.[/citation]

Damn, Apple is really working overtime in hiring plants.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Android currently has nothing like Siri. Would you droid heads get over your insecurities and realize android voice control and apple's first release of an AI tech are different things.[/citation]

Lol Siri being called an AI?

LOL!

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Ohh wow... The Apple fanboys really come out of the woodwork giving me thumbs-down... ROFL!!! Glad I could ruffle some feathers... But if you really think it has no merit to the topic, heh... You may not like what I say, but it is on topic... Anyhow, back to the discussion...

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]1 - Siri removes the need to look at the screen whilst driving, much like hands-free sets, which have been shown to massively increase safety. People will try to text when they're driving regardless, this gives them a better way to do that. Just like you can talk to people in your car whilst driving. Do you want to ban that too?[/citation]
HUGE difference between someone in the car who can also see what's going on and someone elsewhere with no clue. People as a whole just can't drive, let alone drive and do something else at the same time... The person who killed mine using a headset... Did them a whole lot of good didn't it... The simple, unarguable truth is, when people talk, there focus is elsewhere... There's been many studies that even hands-free, driving on the phone is no safer then driving intoxicated...

So now they'll add hands-free texting (again, still nothing 'new' though), which is just as complicated. You have to think of the person, what you're going to say, verify it did it right, etc. All of this is less attention you're paying to the ROAD... Maybe, when your kid has a closed-casket funeral due to someone driving on the phone, only then you'll actually understand the problem...

The problem is, people don't "also talk on the phone", they "also drive the car". And this isn't a woman or man thing or teenager thing... Far too many people think their conversation is more important then paying attention to the road. They might not think so out loud but they get so caught up in their conversations they stop paying full attention to the road... Ever missed your turn cause you were talking? Or even just listening to the radio? You had a lapse of concentration. That little bit is all it takes to kill someone... People need to focus on driving... Period...

As for 'they will do it anyhow'... Yea, and they should get arrested... Make alcohol illegal (they did) and they will do it anyhow... Drugs are illegal, look at all of that out there... It's all about what you should be penalized for... Not what you will or won't do... DUI penalties aren't nearly high enough as it is... But phone related accidents should be right there with em. Making it illegal alone won't do much... But the penalties will be much more severe instead of just 'opps, sorry your kid is a pretzel... Insurance will take care of the car (if they even have any)... But I was on the phone...'... That right there is just the example of what does happen all the time... Talking on the phone isn't a crime while driving (here, it is in other countries).

Yes, hands-free does help... But really not that much... People still die... And it's the lack of attention that is the problem. And there should be some serious penalty for it... Do whatever you want, but you hurt someone, you're going to pay the price... And more then just a slap on the wrist and increased insurance premiums...

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]2 - Siri may have been worth a lot more had they not sold to Apple, but surely that means Apple got excellent value for money? An excellent strategic decision, too, given that now it can't be used on Android.[/citation]
How in the heck is that a good strategic decision?!? Buy a nice product and limit it to only your stuff, which is a whopping 28% of the marketshare... Where there are other competing products available to the other 72% as well as your 28%... So spend WAY TOO MUCH money on the company initially (they'll never make that investment back, they even said so in the reviews just after the purchase...) and then lose more money by locking it down to only your tiny portion of the market... Ya... great business decision...

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]3 - Vlingo is not the equivalent of Siri. Pretty much unanimous over the internet that Siri is far more advanced.[/citation]
No, it is more advanced but not 'far more advanced'... It just doesn't use as few triggering words... Instead it uses an external database (which means you have to have an active data connection... A minus...) for the real processing power systems to try to make sence of your gibberish. And again, that is only right now... Today... The competition isn't just going to watch it roll on by, that's not how it works... (not with any successful companies anyhow)... They will buckle-down and develop matching or besting features of their own... And the competition, it available on all platforms... That's the biggest plus there is. So I can put it in my Android, my iPod, my berry and win devices, etc... Have the same tool everywhere. Not something close, but slightly different where you have to do something differently here or there...

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]As for claims that the phone will 'catch up' in the future, surely that's proof that Apple is leading the way on this one.. you can't catch someone up if you're already level with them.[/citation]
Here, you flat out lost me entirely... I never said anything about a 'phone' catching up... I was referring to the competition... Like Vlingo and other options out there... Right now SIRI is the most feature-packed of the bunch... Only right now, today... Thinking SIRI is always going to be the best is just... well, totally ignorant... It would be like saying AMD CPUs are the best when you were only looking at the days of the new 64 lineup way back when... At the time, yup. They were... Didn't last long but... The competition came back...

But that is what we WANT in the market... COMPETITION... Without it you have monopolies which are the worst of everything ever for the consumers... Will SIRI always be the best... I don't have a crystal ball... But to think so outright is just... well the nicest word I can think of is ignorant... Vlingo could surpass it, or something else entirely could come to market and blow them both out of the water... Could be next week, next month, next year... Tomorrow... All I can say is, and anyone with half a brain knows this very well, companies will try... Especially those focused in that area... And then Apple will probably just start he barrage of frivolous litigation...

jmchien

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I have a feeling some time down the road Mr. Rubin will lose all credibility when google themselves push for a voice command ecosystem (which some posters here have already pointed out that Android already has)

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
SirGCal... nice effort but honestly anyone who doesn't already see what is available on Android and on iPhone won't change their mind regardless of how long or well thought out (or factual) the arguments are...

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]SirGCal... nice effort but honestly anyone who doesn't already see what is available on Android and on iPhone won't change their mind regardless of how long or well thought out (or factual) the arguments are...[/citation]

Very very true...

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I think we can all agree that Siri is not anything particularly new nor was it completely original idea from Apple. But from what I've gathered from reading many reviews, is that it is the best implementation of voice control in any mobile OS.

I've used many different smartphones in the work place: many, many BlackBerries, several Windows mobile devices, and a couple of iPhones. I'm finally buying my first smartphone for personal use and it is an iPhone 4S. I've been impressed by iOS and it is by far the best mobile OS for enterprise IT.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]inpendingdoom[/nom]i think he is pissed that he didn't come up with voice control first[/citation]

Another inteligent mac poster. Nuance (dragon), Vlingo, Google, even Bing all had voice command driven smartphone software long before the iPhone 4S and Siri came out.

I guess its another Apple time warp, all of these other companies traveled forward in time to copy Apple then returned to their original time to save Sarah Connor from the iTerminators.

user_ace

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
It's a shame that hate for Apple products blinds Android users from recognizing what Siri could become. Sure, Apple didn't invent Siri, they never claimed they did... but they were first to recognize the potential and implement it on their device.

The very name 'Android' suggest Aritificial Intelligence, and for Google to brush it away as if it is not important is just stubborn and ignorant. I see Siri as a step forward in our ability to interface with machines without the need for a keyboard, and for that Apple should be praised.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]user_ace[/nom]It's a shame that hate for Apple products blinds Android users from recognizing what Siri could become. Sure, Apple didn't invent Siri, they never claimed they did... but they were first to recognize the potential and implement it on their device.The very name 'Android' suggest Aritificial Intelligence, and for Google to brush it away as if it is not important is just stubborn and ignorant. I see Siri as a step forward in our ability to interface with machines without the need for a keyboard, and for that Apple should be praised.[/citation]

That is about the worst argument I've heard yet... Apple didn't implement it on their device... The initial SIRI developer's did... Apple bought it before it could be implemented further to the world.

The Ignorance is that iPeople think there is nothing else in comparison... It's life changing... bla bla bla... It's another voice control system. A very nice one, the nicest one out today... but it's nothing over extrordinary... And Apple had ZERO to do with it other then to buy it once SIRI had done all the work... Praise them?!? For buying out a truly innovative company and blocking the rest of the planned development? HA! Not in this lifetime...

They did not implement it on their devices... The only think Apple did was to buy it out. iOS was the initial implementation platform from the original developers... Nothing to do with Apple what-so-ever... Apple bought it to lock it down... To prevent the developers from doing what they initially planned (full development for all, similar to Vlingo)... That's all they did...

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
the first retard to do this next time i am watching a movie at the theater is going to get that phone shoved so far up his..it's going to be his new larynx

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Android's Andy Rubin says you should talk to people, not your smartphone.
People should talk to people in REAL time. That is, in person or over the phone. That's it. Not just over some dating website or chat room or some form of instant messaging. It just doesn't work!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So , i`ve got -5 to my previous post because i`ve said siri is stupid to be used as a talking companion ? oh geez sorry for offending forever alone guys here, my bad

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Cool! My, pentionist, parents are computer scientists according to Ballmer! Not bad considering neither of them speak english very well, which we all know is sort of a prerequisite for working seriously with computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.